Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Quad handshake..

I believe the act of handshaking started back in medieval times as a way to prove to the person you were meeting that you were unarmed. No hidden knife etc. Then it developed into the social greeting custom we're familiar with today.

In today's small world of fast global transportation and the ability of exotic bacteria and viruses to spread around the globe in a single day, it's probably a good time to re-examine the custom. Whereas in medieval times it was a form of self-protection and preservation it has now turned 180 degrees and is one of the biggest threats we face on a daily basis. Especially to those who need to be extra careful about the germs they come into contact with because they're more vulnerable to infections due to suppressed immune systems or because most of our bladders are more open to the microscopic world of bacterial and viral demons.

A "Hello", "Howdy" or "How ya doin'?" and a head nod suits me fine. Keep your germs to yourself!

And the converse is true also. We paras who push our chairs around all day long are picking up who knows what types of bacteria and viruses from filthy floor surfaces on our wheels and pushrims are perhaps more of a danger to able-bodied people. And quads who use power chairs may not have the ability to wash their hands as vigorously as they should in order to get those sticky bacteria off of them.

I've seen doctors and nurses (and people in general) give their hands a quick 5 second rinse under the water and that's supposed to prevent the spreading of bacteria and viruses? That's just enough effort to create a moist environment for those nasty disease causing creatures to live in and loosens them up so they can be more easily transferred!

Hey, my brother calls me a germ nut but after having dozens of UTIs over the past 26 years I've come to be careful. And an enthusiastic handwasher.

Poor personal hygiene contributes to approximately 50% of all foodborne illness outbreaks.
    What is the correct way to wash your hands?

First wet your hands and apply liquid or clean bar soap. Place the bar soap on a rack and allow it to drain.

Next rub your hands vigorously together and scrub all surfaces.

Continue for 10 - 15 seconds or about the length of a little tune. It is the soap combined with the scrubbing action that helps dislodge and remove germs.

Rinse well and dry your hands.
    Those Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) / National Center for Infectious Diseases handwashing instructions are the bare minimum. I recommend a more vigorous approach and forget that bar soap stuff... use liquid detergent. And use a nailbrush to get at those little bastards who like to hide!

I wash my hands for minutes, not seconds, and with all types of antibacterial chemicals but like my brother says.... I'm a germ nut.

When/if the avian bird flu becomes a serious pandemic maybe we'll then start to re-evaluate the niceties of social custom over the necessity of remaining healthy. The Japanese culture has accepted the wearing of face masks in public to prevent the spread of disease. I'm not sure if their culture shakes hands as a form of greeting or not but like the Western "monkey suit and tie" it's probably sneaking into it. A polite bow or head nod doesn't seem so strange after all.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

i'm down with knuckle bump

Quote Originally Posted by Cspine
    Sometimes it's a bit awkward but the only person to really freak was Charlie Murphy (Eddie Murphy's brother). He's such a dumbass.
    u met him? what did he say?

I usually just stick my hand out...they can look at it or whatever...i dont give a whaaaat...

My friends know my hands so we just ''knuckle punch'' as yall call it
    Blah

Quote Originally Posted by abrooks311
    I usually just stick my hand out...they can look at it or whatever...i dont give a whaaaat...
    Me too. If I get it right I can trigger a bit of grip with spasm but everyone's been cool so far. Yesterday a few business colleagues I hadn't seen since the accident clapped me on the shoulder in a friendly way - no-one understands balance!

Still not had a negative crip comment/experience. Sure I will!
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Cspine,

That Charlie Murphy story sounds interesting. Care to share...

Bob,

Interesting take. Makes you think.
    Last edited by CowboyCrip; 02-08-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I believe the act of handshaking started back in medieval times as a way to prove to the person you were meeting that you were unarmed. No hidden knife etc. Then it developed into the social greeting custom we're familiar with today.

In today's small world of fast global transportation and the ability of exotic bacteria and viruses to spread around the globe in a single day, it's probably a good time to re-examine the custom. Whereas in medieval times it was a form of self-protection and preservation it has now turned 180 degrees and is one of the biggest threats we face on a daily basis. Especially to those who need to be extra careful about the germs they come into contact with because they're more vulnerable to infections due to suppressed immune systems or because most of our bladders are more open to the microscopic world of bacterial and viral demons.

A "Hello", "Howdy" or "How ya doin'?" and a head nod suits me fine. Keep your germs to yourself!

And the converse is true also. We paras who push our chairs around all day long are picking up who knows what types of bacteria and viruses from filthy floor surfaces on our wheels and pushrims are perhaps more of a danger to able-bodied people. And quads who use power chairs may not have the ability to wash their hands as vigorously as they should in order to get those sticky bacteria off of them.

I've seen doctors and nurses (and people in general) give their hands a quick 5 second rinse under the water and that's supposed to prevent the spreading of bacteria and viruses? That's just enough effort to create a moist environment for those nasty disease causing creatures to live in and loosens them up so they can be more easily transferred!

Hey, my brother calls me a germ nut but after having dozens of UTIs over the past 26 years I've come to be careful. And an enthusiastic handwasher.

Those Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) / National Center for Infectious Diseases handwashing instructions are the bare minimum. I recommend a more vigorous approach and forget that bar soap stuff... use liquid detergent. And use a nailbrush to get at those little bastards who like to hide!

I wash my hands for minutes, not seconds, and with all types of antibacterial chemicals but like my brother says.... I'm a germ nut.

When/if the avian bird flu becomes a serious pandemic maybe we'll then start to re-evaluate the niceties of social custom over the necessity of remaining healthy. The Japanese culture has accepted the wearing of face masks in public to prevent the spread of disease. I'm not sure if their culture shakes hands as a form of greeting or not but like the Western "monkey suit and tie" it's probably sneaking into it. A polite bow or head nod doesn't seem so strange after all.
    Can we say......... OCD?
    Death and taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Theophania
    u met him? what did he say?
    He just stumbled over a few words I could'nt make out. Imagine Eddie Murphy making fun of people freaking out meeting a wheeler, take away wit and humor, and you got Charlie. I met him in Addison Texas at the improv when the Chapelle show comedy tour was there. His whole act is about how people only pay attention to him because of his brother. Somehow the handshake went more like a pinky swear. You shoulda seen the WTF look an the face of the guy that plays 'Ashy larry' (I forgot his name). He tripped on Charlie for being a dumbass.
    Death and taxes