Thread: spino cerebral ataxia

spino cerebral ataxia

hi friends,
    i have just joined this forum in search for a cure from my illness, i am suffering frm ataxia from last 4 yrs , even my younger sister is suffering from this illness from 8 yrs. if anyone can help regaring this plz let me know.
    i am from india, does anyone know what are the options available here in my country, is anyone suffering from the same illness as i du, plz be in touch with me.
    waiting for u r reply.

regards ,

VISHAL.

Smile spino cerebral ataxia

My sister 46 yrs old living with spino cerebral ataxia for 3 year. Now she could hardly manage to walk at her home at Silchar, Cachar. Need 24/7 support, my brother-in-law is now in a poor condition. They went Vellor for treatment 2 yrs back. No any better condition, day by day in worst. Plz any one who could suggest the best medicine. Or, any hospital. Plz help.
    - Doren
    longjamdoren@yahoo.co.in

Hi

I have a rare form of Ataxia caused my thyroid going wrong. I was left with ataxia then it started progressing even after they had got my thyroid levels right again.

I have had it 7 years. I now used wheelchair have electric one for outdoors as im in village with loads of hills and a dog to walk twice a day!

Round house I can manage with manual chair and also walker with seat on. My ataxia affects my balance and co-ordination for walking, my bladder and fine motor co-ordination using hands (writing, typing, mouse etc) My speech is also affected and I have a Lightwriter communication aid for people who cant understand my voice or signs. I use sign language with family and friends as I was deaf before the ataxia started in my 30's (I went deaf at 16 also caused by thyroid related problems).

It's nice to find someone else with Ataxia on here, I am in Yorkshire, UK.

Kati

Response for Kati

Are there any support groups in UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Katilea View Post
    Hi

I have a rare form of Ataxia caused my thyroid going wrong. I was left with ataxia then it started progressing even after they had got my thyroid levels right again.

I have had it 7 years. I now used wheelchair have electric one for outdoors as im in village with loads of hills and a dog to walk twice a day!

Round house I can manage with manual chair and also walker with seat on. My ataxia affects my balance and co-ordination for walking, my bladder and fine motor co-ordination using hands (writing, typing, mouse etc) My speech is also affected and I have a Lightwriter communication aid for people who cant understand my voice or signs. I use sign language with family and friends as I was deaf before the ataxia started in my 30's (I went deaf at 16 also caused by thyroid related problems).

It's nice to find someone else with Ataxia on here, I am in Yorkshire, UK.

Kati

Smile

There is Ataxia UK. They have local support groups in most big city's. The nearest one to me is in a big city over 20 mile from me as i live in a small village and have no car.

I mainly get my support online by chatting to people everyday on ataxia groups that I am also a member of.

Did you join the Ataxia South Africa group yet? I told the manager to watch out for your application. We will be chatting sunday night (maybe afternoon where you are) if you want to join us?

ataxia in UK

Katilea, I would love to join the support group in UK - do you have a computer address? Thanks - Fayebo