Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baclofen HELP Please

Baclofen HELP Please

hi, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me if they've ever heard of the possibiliuty that baclofen could increase tightness rather than alleviate it??

Thanks!
    Last edited by denny4104; 02-06-2006 at 04:47 AM.

Hi Denny

I m having baclofen pump implanted. N its reducing my spasticity.

Hi,
    I did not find any detoriation or improvement while taking baclofen. Just keep applying ice (covered in cloth) throughout your legs and belly for over 15-20 minutes greatly reduces the spasm.

Baclofen had no effect on me at all as far as I am concerned...only used it for the last 2 years and a couple of months ago I finished weaning off and I don't feel any difference except that now I can focus and see the print and read a book (so it was definitely effecting me).

I'm not a doctor but my suggestion would be to try valium...I've been on it since 1982 and really it is the only pill/med I have found that releases that tightness. I have never had any addiction issues with it...I've taken 5mg at night and also used them for breakthrough occasionally (like long car rides). One nice side effect is that I almost always have a great nights sleep....can't beat that.

dgbharathi....you really use ice packs like that to reduce spasms? I don't know if it's my central pain or what but ice packs anywhere below the waist would kick up my spasms like crazy....I'll file that suggestion away though for possible use one day when I am poorer than I am now and see what it does.

T

Quote Originally Posted by denny4104
    hi, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me if they've ever heard of the possibiliuty that baclofen could increase tightness rather than alleviate it??

Thanks!
    Denny, baclofen should not be increasing spasticity or muscle tone. It is true that there will be an increase in tone when you stop taking it and this increase may last for a couple weeks. However, it should reduce tone and spasticity.

On the other hand, people should not mistaken spasms for spasticity. They are different and baclofen is not effective against spasms unless such high doses are being given that they are reducing muscle strength. Most anti-spasticity drugs reduce muscle strength. The only one that I know of which does not is 4-aminopyridine; however, the ability of 4-AP to reduce spasticity is not yet proven.

Wise.

Thank you, and thank you all for your replies. Little more background:
    The accident was 8/26/04 with two surgeries to make more room from c3-c7 (lqast one 1/19/05. I'm currently taking 10mg x 4 baclofen along with 600mg x 4 neurontin. Tightness just keeps getting worse week by week. It 's now affecting pretty much each body part from traps to feet...with lots of pressure. Neurologist feels strongly that the pool will help a lot with this. Is it ever possible that the tightness ever goes away, or even get better over time?

Thank you

Denny,
    Are you stretching enough? Are you excercising?

Denny, Like jaycue suggested I have found that stretching will reduce spasticity for me. Also, I experience an increase in spasticity with a full bowel or bladder, gas, any noxious stimuli such as very tightly laced shoes, sitting on a hard surfaces, long toenails pressing on the inside of the footwear, open wound or pressure somewhere below my level of injury etc. I take 20mg. of Baclofen 2 times a day and I don't experience much spasticity at all.

Dr. Young,

Could baclofen reduce some of the tightness in my abdomen, which, combined with the pain sensations, bothers my breathing?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

With regards to baclofen--increased to 15mg x 4....Tightness just keeps getting worse week by week. I have no problem straightening or bending my joints....the feeling, for example on my upper arms, is like when a blood pressure cuff is very very tight. It 's now affecting pretty much each body part from traps to feet...with lots of pressure. Neurologist feels strongly that the pool will help a lot with this. Is it ever possible that the tightness ever goes away, or even get better over time?

Thanks