Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Exercise & Recovery Forum

I will begin strength training as well in a couple of weeks. There are soft wrist straps (Hollingger?) with hooks on them so I do not have to have full function of my hands to get back in the gym. I will have my trainer/coach go with me to get me started and see what I can do. Right now I'm lifting free weights, 5 lb. in left hand, 3 lb. in right.

Sorry, dumb question - what is the difference between "functional training" and "resistance training" ??

functional -- to use in your everyday life...resistance -- to build muscle, lose weight
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Physiotherapy

I'm sorry, but for some reason I am unable to get into my head the different levels of injury; e.g. C4 T4, so I will just describe my experiences from a very lay perspective.

My son was paralysed from the cheekbones down in September 2010 during a severe bout of salmonella meningitis.

At the present time he now has considerable strength in his upper body and some movement in his legs. He is responding to regular physiotherapy and I believe that this has contributed to his progress so far.

I would be interested to hear the views of others.

We live in the UK.

How are you?

Would love to hear how you are doing now. How long has it been since your injury?

Banned
    Hello, folks.
    I'm finally going to quick lurking and just stick my neck out: I'm embarrassed to confess that my biggest obstacle to recovery is getting myself out of my chair and starting to DO it. I can walk w/ crutches, but have lost functions from S-2 down, having had en block resection for sacral chordoma. I can't stand up straight for long, have colostomy w/ parastomal hernia that I'm going to order an abdominal binder for. I've had outpatient PT (after initial inpatient and residential- was in nursing home for a month) but due to weak will, don't follow through with assigned exercises. I know I can only improve with diligent, long-term therapy. I guess I've come here to get my butt kicked from time to time just to get me moving. I apologize to those of you with greater injuries than mine, will do what I can to encourage you, if at all.
    Sincerely,
    J.

Hi Jacovo,
    I think that you will get stronger and gain abilities if you work at it. I am almost three years post SCI, and I am still making gains. If you want inspiration try this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=112080. Good luck.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Dr. Wise,
    I am looking for studies on recovery factors. What do folks like me who have recovered substantially after being told we would likely never walk again. I am looking for not just exercise factors but psychological, occupationally, sociologically as well. What factors other than we exercised do we have in common? I am truly interested in this and have looked and not found to much in this area. Can you point me toward something. I am actually considering writing a book on this subject of outside factors when it comes to recovery. Something that might help me understand why me?

To others who are new. Feel free to PM me for rehab or recreational advice. I have spent the last 23 months researching techniques and using myself as a guinea pig. Thank you Dr. Wise for providing this website and forum. It has been hugely beneficial to me.

Hello Everyone,

First of all it's really exciting to read about so many of you who have made so much progress in your recovery. Congratulations and keep up the hard work! I'm a trainer at SCI-FIT located in Pleasanton, CA and we now have a new location in Sacramento, CA as well. SCI-FIT (Spinal Cord Injury Functional Integrated Therapy) has a mission to provide the most comprehensive, post-traditional, exercise based therapy for those individuals who have suffered a debilitating injury. SCI-FIT maximizes the potential for each individual suffering from spinal cord injuries and other neurological disorders by utilizing strategic exercises and providing the proper stimulation for an optimal functional outcome.

From reading a lot of your posts I thought some of you may be interested in our facility or seeing some of the progress our clients have achieved. Here is the link to our youtube account- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgRzXTit4Stkc29tgCLexQ

We have videos of clients performing functional exercises (exercises that help to increase strength and correlate to everyday needs), gait training, client spotlights, and the utilization of FES. Hopefully even if you aren't in the area seeing some of these videos can help give you ideas for exercises you could do on your own or motivation for your own recovery!

You can also get more information about us and exercise based therapy from our website http://www.sci-fit.org/

Keep up the hard work everyone!
    "There are no limitations, only possibilities."

Seeing everyone's progress is awesome! And so encouraging for those suffering from spinal chord injuries. I will be sharing this thread with my patients.