Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Exercise & Recovery Forum

Guys, Im a T12 incomplete and am wondering if anyone has any tips for strengthening the quads from flickers to something more substantial. My hip flexors are really strong now as they are fairly easy to exercise - but the quads are a little more tricky when they are just flickers. I stand for an hour a day and walk several lengths of my lounge with a walker and AFOs most days. ALso I have a leg bike which I cycle on for an hour a day also. However, I find the cycling is really just utilising my hip flexors it seems rather than my quads.

I have tried the total gym but Im not strong enough to push that yet.

Articles written by several researchers state that intense exercise may restore some function. Are there any guidelines as to what is too much? When I bought my FES bike, the therapist said not to use it more than an hour for no more than 3 to 5 days a week. That doesn't seem like a lot. In am a T4 complete almost a year post injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Lange View Post
    Exercise and yoga are important to keep our body fit and healthy. I always do it in the early morning.
    Doubt this person has a SCI...and this is the first female Edward I have ever see posting here!!

(KLD)

hello dr.young
    i am 6 months into my injury,i fell off a ladder and fractured the c-6 c-7 bones in my neck and damaged my spinal cord. i have re-gained some feeling in my back all the way to my heels and feet.the front of my body has some feeling too but it is different from the feeling in the back.i am a b incomplete.what are my chances of ever walking.

Please respect your shoulders!!! Improper dips and poor unloading techniques with attempts to gait walk lead to rotator cuff problems.

I personally am finding diet plays a HUGH roll in my continued recovery. I have switched to whole a food diet with lots of green smoothies, uncooked fruits, lightly steamed vegetables, truly multi-grain breads, rolled oats, long grain brown rice, beans and lentils, potatoes (both white and sweet), and seeds and nuts. I use a limited amount of 100% fruit juices for my smoothies, and drink vitamin D enriched almond milk, instead of cow's milk. The occasional raw sugar or honey as my sweetener. NO white bread, white sugar, white rice, or sodas and coffee. Water is my main source of fluids. For seasoning I use only true sea salt (the dirty looking grey that you grind yourself) and fresh herbs and spices. I get my protein from the beans and lentils, as well as, seafood sources and organic eggs. Since switching to this diet I feel 100% better!! Weight has leveled off at a nice 120 lbs (5' 3"), even with being on the Gabapentin. Seems to me that any extra weight makes this condition much more difficult. With this diet I no longer have to take anything to assist with bowel function and my UTI's have ceased. By 10 pm, I do my best to be asleep in a totally dark room, so to allow my circadian rhythms to be synchronized for proper hormone releases. Of course, there are those nights your up and down to the BSC and Nick at Nite is your best friend. Additionally, I have found that 3 daily ounces of Nopal cactcus juice helps a great deal with inflammation. However, it's incredibly sad the makers of the brand I find most useful, has decided to sell their product through the pyramid program, making the price entirely too high. I have to question how truly concerned a company like that is about the health and welfare of their customer. I also take high doses of sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin form). This has done wonders for my mood, and I seem to be gaining better balance since my D.O. advised I up my dose to 6000 mcg per day; three divided doses of 2000 mcgs. For exercise I do one day heavy, one day light and then take one day off for recovery. I use the treadmill, elliptical, recumbent bike, and water aerobics for cardio (thinking of adding a spin class). For strength training, I use therabands, hand weights ( 3, 5 and 8 lbs) and a cheap overall weight machine I purchased at Wal Mart. Still seeing strength, functional and sensory gains 19 months post injury. Drop foot seems to be resolving. My two most complex issues at this point is balance, which is improving and a left shoulder brachial plexus, which I do weekly message, hydro therapy, strectching and OT. Currently, taking Oxycotin, 10 mg, q 12hrs, but am working with my pain mgmt doc to gain insurance approval for a spinal cord stimulator. Would love to get off at least the oxy. If anyone has any pro or con experiences with the stimulator, would welcome your comments.
    Last edited by Patty41; 09-16-2010 at 01:36 PM.

First post
    am c2c3 incomplete, road bike accident aug 07. 5 months hospital very limited recovery.
    moved away from traditional therapy to more aggressive training. cardio, weights, stretching. spasticity still big problem in morning but the mental boast you get from the work is worth it to me. I agree with earlier thread, if it twitches, work it.
    Hip pain is issue for me, am looking into replacement, anyone with experience in this?

mstephan,

I too suffered some hip pain in conjunction with displacement of that hip. Somehow, in the accident and/or with subsequent atrophy the hip is rotated wrong in the socket, putting great stress on knee and hip. i found a PT who uses something called postural restoration. He gave me odd exercises that seem to help restore the muscles that hold the hip more correctly. Over 8 months there has been improvement in the position of the hip ( it is a daily battle against hypertonia that draws the hip back into the incorrect position) and the pain is gone, though there is still too much torque on the leg.

Still it progresses, and for me this is much better than a hip or knee replacement, which would not solve the basic problem, and from which I might not come back, given my marginal status. My AB brother is taking 2 years getting bacck from a knee replacement. On the other hand I had an elderly friend, 85, who completed his second hip replacement successfully.

Study long and hard.

it sounds like you are doing about what I did in the beginning. I joined a gym and used the pool to stand and walk in. that helped get muscle but the fatigue is someting that will slow you down for a while. you are so newly injured. I think it is very good for you to do housework. the thing with ces though is the later developing neuro pain. it is very hard to treat, and I think it contributes to the fatigue. for some reason I feel less neuro pain when standing in a pool.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edward Lange
    Exercise and yoga are important to keep our body fit and healthy. I always do it in the early morning.
    Doubt this person has a SCI...and this is the first female Edward I have ever see posting here!! SCI Nurse (KLD)

Haha. Cannot be SCI. We spend early morning, well, half the morning, getting dressed and doing toilet!
    Last edited by Tetracyclone; 12-16-2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: to include original reference