Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Exercise & Recovery Forum

I had avm surgery and an L5S1 laminectomy in 2003 which resulted in cauda equina syndrome. I had bladder issues which resolved after 8 months.
    For the first year after surgery i was walking up to 1 mile a day as well as using the recumbent bicycle for 30minutes at a time. As i increased my activity, i began experiencing flare-ups( acheing pain in and around my tailbone and buttocks) I also had these flare ups if i did too much house work. I now have eliminated most walking and bicycle exercise and instead have switched to Nautilus machine exercise. At this point cardio is not right for me. I woul;d advise you to take it very slow. I would suggest lots of stretching, house work, climbing stairs if possible and walking for the first 6 months. You alsio might want to keep a journal of your daily physical

Mu husband is a incomplete c7 (6months ago).He is exercizing 5 days a week 3 days going to a personal trainer for resistance training for upper body and improving triceps and therapy at kennedy kreiger 2 times a week. At home using a lot of e-stem. He is making progress with sensory and the doctor is seeing some flickering in his glutes and hamstrings.
    We really believe the hard work in really helping.
    Lisaann
    Lisaann

Quote Originally Posted by lisaann
    Mu husband is a incomplete c7 (6months ago).He is exercizing 5 days a week 3 days going to a personal trainer for resistance training for upper body and improving triceps and therapy at kennedy kreiger 2 times a week. At home using a lot of e-stem. He is making progress with sensory and the doctor is seeing some flickering in his glutes and hamstrings.
    We really believe the hard work in really helping.
    Lisaann
    Keep at it! With a lot of work, patience and persistance I have been able to capitilize on every twitch and flickering fiber. Don't forget to work the entire body even though there doesn't appear to be anything going yet. Keep us posted on the progress, it is encouraging.

Muscle growth

I am 3 1/2 yrs. post injury at T9. At 14 months post injury I began to have the ability to flex muscle in my legs. Unfortunately at that time my muscle was gone. I feel that I am slowly getting more muscle (stronger) but am still not able to move muy legs.

Is there anything I can be doing to help this process along other than continually flexing and trying to move? Steroids? HGH???

Is this what people that have gotten back up on their feet experience or does everyone experience this?

my opinion...everything is regarding to the injury level ,severity of injury as well.keep exercise... will not hurt our bodies.water theraphy is the best ...damn is expensive.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I am also new to this site. In Feb 2007 I had a SCI. I broke c7, t3, t5, and shattered t4 which went into my spinal cord. I also broke most of my ribs, cracked my sternum, broke my rt. clavicle, and brachial plexus. First surgery was botched. Had second one 3 months later, with 14" rods implanted. Any kind of movement was painful. But I forced myself to do it. I set a specific goal each day and week for the 6 months I spent in rehab hospitals. Walking up stairs was the main goal for me. Now I am fairly functional. The one thing that I found that I believe made a HUGE difference was the PT center. Instead of using a hospital based PT, I went to an outpatient clinic as soon as I could. I chose one that was set up like a regular gym, instead of just having a few pieces of equipment. They train atheletes right along with people that have SCI's and knee replacements. It motivates you to work past the pain. And the more you strengthen, the stronger your body, muscles, and spine will be.
    I still have problems with pain, and mainly constant muscle spasms in my back, that pull on my ribs. My medication only removes some of the problem. But if I go a week without working out, I can't move. I won't ever be able to run like Kittyshrine (way to go Kitty). But I can walk right behind her, and I bet I can outlift her!!! <G> Keep motivated Tralain

keep up the fight!

Im a c4 central cord incomplete.Nothing broken only compression.Thrown from my m/cycle at 85 mph,landed face first in 2006.I have had many setbacks in the 3 yrs.Incl. blood clot from groin to ankle,stitches in templefrom fall,stitches in back of head from a fall,broken shoulder bleedin ulcer that took 6 units of blood and 4 whole blood and recently a broken leg,tib and fib(boot off in 3 weeks).Im able to walk with a walker and after boot is off,with a cane.I work out 3 days a week using a nu-step machine,walking 800 feet in facility,and ankle weights for my arms.On tues and thurs 1 hr in the pool working upper and lower.My left hand works at abt 30% and right hand at 10%.I have a long way to go for me to be happy and might not get there.I hurt everyday,upper and lower but I wont give up."What dont kills us make us stronger".

Question so, is pain a good thing in exercising?

I hurt to simply move, have (my PCP finally decided) CES and bulging disks, etc, but hurt all the time in left leg from butt cheek to toes, and have bad weakness in left leg - it 'goes out' after about a minute (now) of standing. I walk as much as possible with forearm crutches, but pain & numbness & weakness (one or the other - not all three, please!) cause me to either fall or stop & sit. I'm going to call & make a PT appointment as soon as I get my insurance back, but what can I do in the meantime on my own - I wear depends now for B&B accidents, so am afraid to go into a pool.

i would just like to post this message as i feel it might be helpful to others regarding always staying positive and never giving up hope. I have been unable to walk or do much at all for about 15 years,have been in a wheelchair for 10 of those years up until last november 2008 when i suffered a brain haemmorage and was in hospital for about 3 months but im now up walking again and i cant put the feeling into words only to sy to everybody out there never give up hope and stay positive as miracles do happen every day

I found an exercise bike was the best. I also found the harder I tried the worse it got for the first 11 months. It is now begining to subside quicker after ezxercise and a moderate level of activity is OK. I feel you must balance exercise with quality of life. I have had to self regulate my body temperature for the lad t 11 months and find this helps lesson the circle of fire.