Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Exercise & Recovery Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Texas PTA View Post
    Seeing everyone's progress is awesome! And so encouraging for those suffering from spinal chord injuries. I will be sharing this thread with my patients.
    If you are working with people with SCI, you probably should be spelling "spinal CORD" correctly....

(KLD)

Dear MFlounlacker,
    Need advise on excercise routine to walk again.
    SCI T3-T7 with 14 screws in spinal cord after 2 years now doing excercises seriously. Walking with elbow crutches, walking frame, crawling, standing on my knees, standing holding a bar etc.
    What more?

Thanks and regards,
    Ken Chong
    kaynis@gmail.com
    Whatsapp +6 012 2201728
    Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia

i have been working with this facility down in s. Florida for a little while now. Going in on a daily basis, I have seen individuals with all different types of spinal cord injuries have some strong form of recovery through strength training. The facility uses exercise-based protocols in a comprehensive program with some of the best equipment that I've seen to date. Needless to say, I have seen certain spinal cord injuries able to feed themselves and brush teir teeth for the 1st time because of strength training. Other spinal cord injuries have been able to leave their wheelchair behind and walk out of the progam and become community ambulators again.
    As told to me as a C5 level quad, there are no guarantees to full recovery in regards to exercise-based strength training for my spinal cord injury. What was told to me was if I was able to push myself mentally, they would assist me through the comprehensive program and work aggresively to bring me to my peak physical condition so that Ican live a more independent and functional lifestyle. Because of them, I am now able to drive again, have better cardio conditioning and most importantly live independently. I also have great voluntary movement below my level of injury with certain muscles that I did not have prior to attending. In regards to spinal cord injury recovery, I would suggest looking at Center for Neuro Recovery.

www.centerforneurorecovery.com

It really is an amazing place. I like the environment too.

lost 20 lbs and doing more movement counts for something

For me, dealing with scoliosis, I used to exercise a lot, with weights, in my 20s. From what I now think of as a lack of body alignment, the weights started causing more pain than good, so I stopped. I then switched to Yoga, which was nice for exercise but didn't properly address internal alignment issues in a way I was able to practice, due to scoliosis. I then began practicing specific breathing techniques which I used to strengthen the core of my body - and to increase sensation around the curvatures causing trouble. This has helped more than anything else, although it sometimes is painful while practicing. I'm curious if anyone else has worked with breathing techniques primarily?