Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T.V. Remote Control Device for quadriplegic paitients.

T.V. Remote Control Device for quadriplegic paitients.

I recentlly built a device for quadriplic paitients so they can have more control of their lives, namly the T.V. REMOTE.

Using a stadard remote control switch in conjuction with a chin switch, the patient can have access to change channels in a up motion, in other words they go from CHANNEL One through 99 (if your channels go up that far.) the only draw back so far is that they cannot control the volume and have to scan the channels 1-99 if they pass their favorate channel.
    But it's great for independence sake.

I will attempt in the next few weeks to build a web site to show the actual design so one can build this at home.

in the mean time e-mail me or call me 24-7
    if you desperatlly need this now. I will try to talk you through it. NO CHARGE EVER!!!!!!

Best of luck and may god bless you all.

DANIEL STREET
    559-322-9073
    ROMANTICARTWORK@AOL.COM

Greetings

Not to insult your workmanship, but I wouldn't put too much time into this project.
    The market has lots of voice activated remotes that function just how you want yours to work, without moving a muscle.
    As a quad myself, I have seen a few models but none were functional enough for me.
    I just came across a website that has voice activated r/c which actually go from say channel 242 to channel 380 by voice command alone.
    This eliminates the need for scanning up and down, which is impossible with satellite television.
    I am going to order one, once they replenish their inventory.
    Cost is $90.00 US

Paul

i was not aware of the device but it would not help my son much.... he cant speak.
    plus this one is FREE .

thanks
    daniel

I have researched and researched trying to find a remote-control that I could use independently. You can now find a remote for everything and learning remote controls as well. I recently purchased a touch screen Sony RM-av3000. It will learn any infrared remote command. I even have mine set up to control lights, and soon the deadbolt on the front door (waiting on deadbolt). One remote for everything and it will respond to the lightest touch.

Here is a great site to learn about remote controls:Remote Central

Greetings

Sorry to hear about your son.
    Good luck and God bless

Paul

Carl, how do you set it up? Can you do it by finger or knuckle touch?

when i was in rehab , a Dr who worked there made a ''sip and puff '' device to do a similar thing . not sure what the outcome was .

thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Alan, the new touch screen remote controls are very sensitive to light touch. I have tried out two or three different remotes with touchscreens and have had no problems working any of them with my knuckles or side of my hand. I liked the Sony best because I have not found a device that it has not been able to learn from. To teach the it commands from another remote, simply face the remote towards each other and press the button on the remote that you are trying to learn from. After a couple of seconds, the Sony remote will beep acknowledging that it has learned the command. I have one remote for stereo, TV, VCR, DVD, satellite receiver, CD player, lights, and hopefully an infrared deadbolt (should be here in the next week or so). The light switches that I have use X10 technology and I have 8 switches throughout my house which covers everything I need. My wife and I program the remote for everything is less than one hour. My neighbor installed the light switches and it takes roughly 15 to 20 minutes for each one. The Sony remote control cost me $110 on ebay, and the X10 light switches cost from $10 per switch to $40 per switch from www.smarthome.com depending on whether it is just a light or if it is a ceiling fan or something run with a motor.

About a year after I got hurt, someone at TIRR recommended that I checked into getting lights put in that would work off remote control and I had a guy come out and he gave me an estimate a of $16,000. It sounded ridiculous and it was. All the switches and the remote that I have cost less than $500 Total, and has made a huge difference in letting me feel more independent.

If you are considering a remote control, I would buy it locally at Best buy or circuit City, etc. to try it out. This way, if you don't like it you can return easily. There are usually a lot cheaper on the Internet. The Sony was $199 at Best buy and Circuit City. I like the Sony also because it is wider making it easier to hit the buttons and more stable. I have mine velcroed to the side of the couch.

TV remote control

Quote Originally Posted by DANIEL STREET View Post
    I recentlly built a device for quadriplic paitients so they can have more control of their lives, namly the T.V. REMOTE.

Using a stadard remote control switch in conjuction with a chin switch, the patient can have access to change channels in a up motion, in other words they go from CHANNEL One through 99 (if your channels go up that far.) the only draw back so far is that they cannot control the volume and have to scan the channels 1-99 if they pass their favorate channel.
    But it's great for independence sake.

I will attempt in the next few weeks to build a web site to show the actual design so one can build this at home.

in the mean time e-mail me or call me 24-7
    if you desperatlly need this now. I will try to talk you through it. NO CHARGE EVER!!!!!!

Best of luck and may god bless you all.

DANIEL STREET
    559-322-9073
    ROMANTICARTWORK@AOL.COM
    I had a friend of mine connected pillow switch to my pillow switch button.
    It broke and I need to build another one.

Paul,

What is the NAME or WEBSITE for such a voice controlled remote for $90 ?

Peter
    Futurewalker