Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-sexist commentary on MURDERBALL

Question Movie Critics I Like Review Murderball.

As a general rule, I have found myself to be in agreement about film reviewed by Rolling Stone's Peter Travers. He has this to say about Murderball"

A smashing documentary about quadriplegics in wheelchairs -- wait, it's not depressing. These are quadriplegics who play rugby for the U.S. Paralympics team -- wait, it's not sappy. Fierce action, foul language and even quad sex come under the microscope of filmmakers Henry-Alex Rubin and Dana Adam Shapiro as the film builds to the battle between the U.S. and Canadian teams. Wait -- it's not like something you've already seen. It's original, outrageous and murderous fun. PETER TRAVERS
    Ebert liked it:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../50607001/1023

(I often disagree.)

As did James Berardinelli, who I more frequently am in agreement with:

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/mo...urderball.html

For some reason, I've yet to add it to my Netflix queue.
    Last edited by jukespin; 02-03-2006 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Acess to Smilies.

Lightbulb Pass the Critic.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad
    The women Joe Soares calls a bitch on the side lines wasn't an official, she was one of the coaches from the U.S. team trying to tell him to leave. I would have been pissed too. Richard Leader needs to get his facts straight.
    I have found this inaccuracy thing all to often amongst critics and it pisses me off. A prominent syndicated movie reviewer, Steve Rhodes, while reviewing "The Ring" identified Rachel's ex-husband and father of her wierd little boy (Noah) as: "a boyfriend". I've found about one in four of his reviews to contain inaccuracies. Like I said above, the problem is widespread amongst critics.

Good debate article MrSoul!
    Last edited by jukespin; 02-03-2006 at 12:26 AM.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

I have a woman player on my rugby team and my coach is also a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    isn't the sport the documentary? are you actually agreeing with this ass?
    Umm, no... the sport is the sport, and the movie is the movie. You don't think a movie ABOUT something is the same thing as the thing ITSELF do you?

HOOP DREAMS is a documentary ABOUT basketball, it is not the ACTUAL NBA.

Of course, I agree with much of what he wrote. Can you tell me why he is mistaken?
    "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by jukespin
    As a general rule, I have found myself to be in agreement about film reviewed by Rolling Stone's Peter Travers. He has this to say about Murderball"
    What did you think of Rich's 'criticism of the criticism'?

In short, nobody seems to be taking issue with his main point... that the movie re-confirms masculine stereotypes instead of challenging them. Wouldn't everyone here agree?

And if you think male gender roles are positive, that's okay with you. If you think they are largely harmful to men (and I do, in fact, I think very harmful to disabled men IN PARTICULAR), then that WON'T be okay with you.

Is everyone agreed then?
    Last edited by MrSoul; 02-03-2006 at 12:45 PM.
    "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

aahhhh.....fuck that bitch rich....that sexist?

Justadildo, thanks for reminding me:

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad
    The women Joe Soares calls a bitch on the side lines wasn't an official, she was one of the coaches from the U.S. team trying to tell him to leave. I would have been pissed too. Richard Leader needs to get his facts straight.
    Calling a woman a witch or a bitch (or similar female-derived insult) IS sexist. Calling someone idiot or asshole, on the other hand, is sex-neutral.

For justadildo to call a male (Rich) a bitch, is a way of "feminizing" him and also insulting him--but only if you consider feminine behavior an insult in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSoul
    Justadildo, thanks for reminding me:

Calling a woman a witch or a bitch (or similar female-derived insult) IS sexist. Calling someone idiot or asshole, on the other hand, is sex-neutral.

For justadildo to call a male (Rich) a bitch, is a way of "feminizing" him and also insulting him--but only if you consider feminine behavior an insult in and of itself.
    Well I looked up the meaning of bitch and it points out exactly what she meant to him. http://www.answers.com/topic/bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I have a woman player on my rugby team
    Weve got two on the team here and a third on the way...

Sounds like this guy just needed something to sqawk about..

Okay, point taken about women players... but why the silence over this pertinent paragraph?

No matter how dependent upon women—fulfilling their roles as caregivers, physically, emotionally, and sexually—the men of Murderball might be, and time is certainly given over to depicting imagery of care giving, that dependency is seen as something that must be overcome: not through independence from women but though the domination of women. Thus sexism is glibly inverted: in a discussion ostensibly to quell misconceptions about the sex lives of quadriplegics, Scott Hogsett, a member of the American national team, states that the more pitiful that he is, the more the women like him, reminding a questioner that “a lot of girls like being on top.” The mirthful comments by the men about women finding them non-threatening, and how this works to their own advantage sexually, have a touch of the surreal when contrasted by their ardent desire to have men find them threatening—and the great lengths to which they go in order to ensure that they do, several of them bragging of victorious fist fights. Heterosexual activity, in a way, serves the same function for them with women, given the ethic of patriarchy that surrounds all of us, regardless of our individual intentions and aspirations.
    Agree? Disagree?