Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Brakes?

Scissors worked for me. The push breaks always unlocked on me if they got bumped and was in the way.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Personally, I wish WC manufacturers would get off their collective @$$es and start putting disk breaks on. Light weight, would hold the wheel absolutely stopped, no need for adjustment, and could actually be used to slow the WC down when going down steep hills in the rain.

Only problem I could think of is where to mount the controlls.

They make em for bicycles, come on guys.

-- JB

Quote Originally Posted by MattGimpin
    Shaun, cool wheels man, what kind of chair is that? I want to get some like that for my Quickie, are they compatible?
    Top End Terminator TI with X-cores..You can put X-cores on anything.Ive been happy with them other than they get squeaky from time to time,but theyve been crack free so far,nothin a little WD-4O hasnt fixed..

Wheeliegirl,heres some better pics..one with the brake on,you can see how flat and out of the way they are...and second with them off and my hand stuffed in them.I had to lean right forward to put my hand in there and cant imagine how anybody could bugger there thumb up,theres a lot of space there..
    Last edited by Shaun; 02-02-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Here are disk brakes. Nice, but expensive.
    http://www.accessibledesigns.com/newebrakes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB
    Personally, I wish WC manufacturers would get off their collective @$$es and start putting disk breaks on. Light weight, would hold the wheel absolutely stopped, no need for adjustment, and could actually be used to slow the WC down when going down steep hills in the rain.

Only problem I could think of is where to mount the controlls.

They make em for bicycles, come on guys.

-- JB

SHAUN
    I just got my chair and it has no brakes! Somehow they left em off. I am a new injury and have no idea what the hell I'm ordering anyway. They put the push locks from my loaner chair on until they get mine. THing is these stick up in the air don't fold flat like yours do in this picture. What is the name of these brakes so I can ask this guy to make sure I get the right brakes. I couldn't find the pic and he is clueless. Thanks for your help. C
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

BTW, I thought about the disc brakes some more, and the real problem is setting them up for quick release.

When my wheelchair finally gets ordered by my DME vendor, I'm going to be working with a friend to see what can be done about mounting them and making them work.

JB

I have scissor brakes on my chair.

When I first received my D-Locks I had similar problems, but after several adjustments they have been working well. It has been about a year since the last adjustment and they are still holding strong.

In my opinion, D-Locks are much better than push/pull lock brakes.
    Last edited by Justin S; 02-20-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Justin,

Do you have spinergy's with your D's Locks? What type of chair are they on?

Here is the reply that I got back from the president of Accessible Designs regarding disc brakes:

I have answered your questions below. Please call to further discuss your wheelchair brake needs.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd Hargroder
    President / CEO

Accessible Designs, Inc.
    7626 Grissom Road
    San Antonio, Texas 78251
    210.684.6794 fax 210.684.7690
    toll free 888.684.2234

email:
    todd@adinc.cc
    websites:
    www.adinc.cc or www.accessibledesigns.com

"Providing Solutions for the Physically Challenged"

-----Original Message-----
    Hello,

I am interested in switching brake systems on my wheelchair from the push to lock brakes it came with and would like to ask a few questions about your manual disc brakes:

- My brakes are engaged for 95% of the time I am in my chair (12-14 hours per day). Will your brakes work well under these conditions or will they need frequent adjustments as the cables get stretched out? I would be unable to adjust them myself due to lack of hand function.

SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. ALL CABLES ARE PRE STRECHED MOUNTAIN BIKE GRADE.

- How do I determine which type of tires they will work with?

THEY WORK WITH ALL TIRES

- Do the same brakes work with a variety of wheels? For example if I was to later switch my wheels from wire spoke SunRim brand to something like Spinergy's will the same brakes be suitable for the new tires?

WHEELS REQUIRE AN INSTERT TO ADAPTED TO OUR DICS HUB. AT THIS TIME, WE ONLY SUPPLY INSERTS FOR SPINERGY WHEELS.

- Do you know if they will work with a Quickie XTR chair?

YES, I HAVE A XTR.

- How much weight do they add?

+/- OLD BRAKES TO NEW DISC BRAKES AROUND A POUND

- Do you have a Canadian distributor, preferably in the Hamilton or at least Toronto area?

NO

- How much will they cost?

DIRECT PRICE FOR MANUAL IS $650, PLUS $150 FOR SPINERGY INSERTS.

Thank you,
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So as you can see they are pretty pricey but I am still considring getting them for my next chair (maybe this June). I doubt that I will be able to get my insurance to pay for them but I would probably be willing to pay out of pocket for them. I use solid tires so my brakes grip poorly, particularily during tranfers and when trying to do some exercises like rows. That makes me irritated enough to buy the disc brakes. I wish that I could find someone who has tried them first though.