Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Movies, good or bad...

Thumbs up Movies, good or bad...

Ok, since I have no life, and am stuck in the great white tundra, I am watching movies. I thought it would be good to post movies we have seen and give a little description and a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Lord of War- Nicolas Cage- based on true events of gun running, was excellent! Thumbs way up!

Our Fathers- Put out by showtime I believe- Shows the lawyer and victims who brought the Priest molestations out. Was very good movie, I learned a lot and showed a lot of things that I dont remember was in the news. Did you know that Cardinal Law was promoted to rome? and was a paul bearer for pope john pauls funeral? this after he was the one who moved priests from church to church knowing what the priests were doing.

I recently saw the movie, "CRASH", excellent movie as well, I understand it is getting some awards including the SAG Award. Jest of the movie is about our bad habit of "profiling people"....a must see movie.
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Thumbs down

Brothers Grimm- ehhh, not very good in my opinion. Would not care to even see it for free again

I agree about the Brothers Grimm, and I usually love Terry Gilliams movies. Brazil and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are some of my favorites, and I really like 12 Monkeys and the Fisher King too, but thumbs down on the Brothers Grimm.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Thumbs up

I just saw 4 brothers great movie
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

I haven't seen any movies lately at home but, I actually went to the a Movie Theater a couple of weeks ago and saw The Hostel ...its a great movie and I highly recommended (definitely a guy movie).

Dark Water- Complete let down. Did not match up to the previews and hype. I agree with 12 monkeys watched it many times before I actually figured out what was going on though.

Oh yeah, I did actually get out to see a movie recently, Walk the Line. I give it two thumbs up, great movie about the life and love of Johnny Cash, and Joaquin Pheonix totally nailed Johnny's voice, unbeleivable. Reese Witherspoon was also great at his wife, I'd definately reccomend it, especially if you like the man in black. I also just got the excellent anime and a major inspiration for the Matrix, Ghost in the Shell on dvd, it's a mindblowing and visually stunning movie, I highly reccomend it.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Gits 1&2

Quote Originally Posted by Myc0
    I also just got the excellent anime and a major inspiration for the Matrix, Ghost in the Shell on dvd, it's a mindblowing and visually stunning movie, I highly reccomend it.
    I'm greatly in agreement about GITS, particullarly the sound-track. The muscial score is one of the most powerful and evocative I've ever heard. I hope you watched the subtitled as opposed to the dubed version as the character of the 'Major' does not survive the subtitled version very well.

I watched the much anticipated and hailed sequel to GITS, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence recently and, although I am a fan of Mamoru Oshii's work, I cannot recommend it. Here's my review from an anime forum I frequent:

If the sequel to Oshii Mamoru's excellent GITS were lacking only in innocence it might make for an enjoyable experience; it lacks coherence, continuity and even, sadly, penetrability. This sometimes grandly animated film is so deeply mired is narcissistic dizziness that it never finds its feet.

The salient quote of the first movie was that ghostly voiced: "For now we see as through a glass darkly.". A distillation of the myriad quotes of the second would be something like, “For now we try to see through a two way mirror with most of the light on our side.”.

But wait, Oshii Mamoru must have placed signpost in this darkness to guide us on our way: that signpost up ahead; as it comes into view, what does it say? "Birds never peck at green persimmons. They wait until the fruit is ripe." Not sure what this has to do with finding a treadable path through this icoherent morass? Welcome to the club.

If you liked the first of the GITS anime, you would probably enjoy Oshii's:

Urusei Yatsura 2: Byûtifuru dorîmâ
    Last edited by jukespin; 02-02-2006 at 08:58 AM.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

Hey Keps -

that "Father Ted" is the dumbest series I've ever seen.
    I'm up to Disc 2 of the second season now!
    Love Dougal!