Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern California Recommendation

Please recommend a SCI therapy center for my daughter in Northern California

I am trying to find a therapy center for my daughter in Northern California. Do you have any recommndeations?

These are the CARF (Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) accredited SCI programs in California:

California Pacific Regional Rehabilitation Center San Francisco CA
    County of Los Angeles - Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center Downey CA
    Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehabilitation Center Vallejo CA
    Northridge Hospital Medical Center, Center for Rehabilitation Medicine Northridge CA
    St. Jude Medical Center Fullerton CA
    VA Long Beach Healthcare System - Spinal Cord Injury/Disorders Health Care Group Long Beach CA
    VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Spinal Cord Injury Service Palo Alto CA
    VA San Diego Healthcare/Spinal Cord Injury Center San Diego CA

The Model systems facility in Northern California is:

Northern California SCI System
    http://www.tbi-sci.org
    Kazako Shem, M.D.
    Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
    950 South Bascom Ave, Suite 2011
    San Jose, CA 95128
    408-295-9896 x 16 or Email:tbisci@tbi-sci.org

I don't know California very well; I hope you can find some resources here.

RAB

Northern California is a big area. Eureka is 6 hours from San Francisco. Can you be more specific about where in CA? Also, what funding are you using? Private insurance? Medicare? Medicaid? This can make a difference.

(KLD)

Thanks very much for your response. We are moving to San Ramon, which is about twenty minutes from Berkeley. Currently my daughter uses the quad cane during therapy with the assistance of a P.T. At home she uses crutches and at this point a wheel chair for long distances. Loretta is not dependent on the lite-gait machine or the e-stim bike any longer. She continues to regain motor strength in all of her muscles, but her left side is weaker than her right. She needs assistance with her gait pattern. I think a physical therapy clinic could also serve her needs.

We have Cigna insurance

The closest decent SCI CARF-accredited rehab program near there is in San Francisco, but they may be able to refer you to an outpatient clinic closer to you in the East Bay:

California Pacific Regional Rehabilitation Center
    45 Castro
    San Francisco, CA
    415-600-0200
    www.cpmc.org/rehab

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-15-2006 at 09:17 PM.

I will be moving to San Ramon, Northern California and I am hoping to find the best of care for my daughter age, 15, post 11 months sci C6. She is now at K.K. and their philosophy is the best. I am afraid of finding p.t.s who have little faith in my daughter regaing new movement, although she uses a quad cane while in therapy and crutches at home. Please recommend how I can find the best p.t.

Thanks for the info SCI nurse, will any of these links help me find a progressive P.T.clinic? I am afraid to go to a place that will underestimate my daughter's potential.

Mom, where are you in Northern California?
    An administrator made me remove my signature.