Thread: hip and pelvic fracture and pregnancy

hip and pelvic fracture and pregnancy

I am 35 weeks pregnant and for about the last 2 weeks I am having ALOT of hip pain(left side). My accident was almost 4 years ago, I have a spinal cord injury and the hip and pelvic fracture. I can walk with a walker and now its getting really hard to do because of the hip pain. I am scheduled for a c section on march 1st but im not sure if i'll make it till then! Ive talked to my OB and he isnt too worried about the fractures. I am dealing with the pain but am wanting to know is there any way the fractures could affect my baby? could it make her not have enough room? etc..

Jenfr,

I've been wondering about you!!

I remember when I was pregnant with my son I had a lot of sciatic pain --especially right at the end. Your hips would be just like someone who has small hips carrying a baby... she will push forward instead of trying to go side to side. Some people that are small framed have their babies all in front.

Did your doc say anything about bedrest due to the amount of pain? Can you ice/heat your hip to help? I did this the last few weeks of my pregnancy because the pain was so bad. I would lay on my side with a bunch of pillows to support me, then put a hot water bottle on the hip that was hurting the worst at the time.

My friend was 6 weeks pregnant when she was t-boned and fractured her pelvis in 3 places. Her baby was born just fine. She was a tiny girl too - 5' tall and about 90 lbs and had a 7.5 lb baby. She did bedrest the last month or so of her pregnancy too -- not because of the risk to Matty, but because the pain she was in made it so she couldn't hardly walk.

Jadis, Thank you for the reply!
    Sorry, I dont get on here too much...
    you said some reassuring things,makes me feel sooo much better! I will try the ice/heat thing. I have been resting alot more and am back to using my chair about 90% of the time because of the pain. This is my 2nd pg, 1st since injury and ive been a basket case with this one..lol. even though things are fine and no complications i still worry! I will be sooo glad once she is here!

Jules said to tell you the hardest time she had was not being able to take pain medication during her pregnancy. Esp those last few weeks.

She had broken ribs, pelvis, plus all that soft tissue damage. She didn't know she was pregnant either. She found out when they were checking her out in the ER after the accident.

Remember, don't go over 20 minutes with the heat/ice. What happens is after the 20 minutes, your body has the opposite reaction to what you are trying to accomplish.

Warm baths are good too, if you can get comfy in your tub--just don't get the water too hot. Do you have access to a pool? That would help get the pressure of your joints and bones too if you can float in an indoor pool.

Thanks again for the replies, very helpful! I can only imagine what your friend went through!

There is a natural loosening of the joints of the pelvis during the late stages of pregnancy. It is not surprising that with a history of pelvic fracture you are experiencing some pain. Check in with your doctor or midwife about this and see what they suggest. Able bodied women with no history of injury often experience pain in the pelvis during this phase of pregnancy too.

RAB

Thank you nurse. I have talked to my spinal cord doctor and OB. Spinal cord doctor said she wasnt surprised of the pain either and said to let my OB treat it. My OB doesnt think it will be a problem for the baby but pain for me. The only time im not in pain is when im sitting or standing still. When im up walking the pain kicks in and its also like a stiffness. I am dealing with the pain the best that i can. I just dont want to fall or it make the baby run out of room or something like that...

Just a little update.. Today when i got up my hips,pelvic area was sooo sore and stiff it took me like 10 tries to get to a standing position..but i finally made it! Later on in the evening i noticed that i was spotting so i called the OB department and they had me come in. I got there and they did a cervical check and i was dilated at a 3 and 70% effaced! and having contractions. Because im 36 weeks they gave me medicine to stop the contractions and now im home! Looks like maybe i wont make my march 1st scheduled c section!

Hope all goes well and keep us posted.

AAD

Due to the paralysis of the pelvic floor muscles, you have less support of the pregnant uterus when standing. I would definately hold off on that now. Not too cool to deliver in a standing frame!! I hope you make your due date and are doing well now.

(KLD)