Thread: Re:plugged Nose

Re:plugged Nose

Had my appointment with the ENT and not any better off now then i was before. I told the doc about my nose opening up when my bladder gets full and he said in the 25 years of being an ENT doc he never heard of that or ever had a sci patient. HE looked into my nose and said my septum had a crook in it and that there is cushions up in your nose that humidify the air when you breath, that these were swollen. He said he can do surgery and straighten the septum and cut the cushions to make them smaller, day surgery about half hour long. Can anyone recommend having this done?
    SCI nurse...can you help me find the answer to why my nose opens up when my bladder gets full?

Quote Originally Posted by hemikid
    .can you help me find the answer to why my nose opens up when my bladder gets full?
    Strangely enough, I have the opposite. When my bladder is full my nose tends to feel blocked up. Often I might appear a bit flushed too, and I take both as signs of early mild AD - in other words a warning to empty my bladder quick!

My experience is generally that people get stuffy noses (this is an autonomic dysreflexia symptom) when their bladders are too full, not their nose opening up more. What medications do you currently take? Are you sure you are not allergic to anything?

(KLD)

I don't take any meds, never have for 13 years. They sent me home from rehab with a bunch of meds and said that I will have to take them for the rest of my life. I felt really crappy all the time. Called the doc one day and said I was going to slowly quiet taking all meds. Within in a month I was of all meds and felt really good. Tell me that docs know what is best for you!! I asked one doc why my nose opens up really good when my bladder gets full and he said it could be do to stimulation of the (vegas)sp? nerve. Anyone ever hear of that? As far as been allergic to anything, I wasn't before the accident but could this have changed after the accident?

Not sure how vagal stimulation could be involved since the vagus does not innervate the bladder, and with a SCI, information from the bladder cannot get to the vagus (which comes from your brain, not the spinal cord).

(KLD)