Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lyrica vs. Neurontin Please help!

I have just started gabepetin or Neurontin for about 2 weeks now. Now I'm up to 1800mg a day. So far if anything the burning has eased a bit but thats about all. Dr said it took like 5-6 weeks to take full effect. If it takes the burning away it will please me!!!! I don't think anything is going to take my pain away though I've been on the fentanyl patch, Lyrica "But didn't ease the pain anyway" which both I had to go off of because of loosing my health insurance and with med part d won't cover but very long before hitting the do-nut hole so I'm try the gabepetin.

I hope it works for you Duge.
    It did not help Dave as much as the Lyrica.
    I took 2400 mg for a few years for fibromyalgia.
    I've gradually cut to a lower dose because I felt like it made me absent minded.

Quote Originally Posted by duge View Post
    I have just started gabepetin or Neurontin for about 2 weeks now. Now I'm up to 1800mg a day. So far if anything the burning has eased a bit but thats about all. Dr said it took like 5-6 weeks to take full effect. If it takes the burning away it will please me!!!! I don't think anything is going to take my pain away though I've been on the fentanyl patch, Lyrica "But didn't ease the pain anyway" which both I had to go off of because of loosing my health insurance and with med part d won't cover but very long before hitting the do-nut hole so I'm try the gabepetin.
    Drudge,

In my neck of severed muscles, cut nerve endings and removed bone, I think my pain is managable now better than ever. I take 600mg Gabapentin 4 times daily for nerve pain. 800mg Ibuprofen really helps my local neck muscle pain. 10mg valium once or twice a day seems to react with the Gabapentin and makes me 'Not Care' about pain. Then I ignore it and enjoy myself. It is like feeling high on meth and everything is so fun, I forget the pain. The pain never goes away but it moves to the side.

Here is what I compare it to. Or how it works for me.
    Pretend some one smashes your big toe with a sledge hammer.
    Ouch....great pain.

Then you find out you just won a 40million dollar lottery.
    Wow. Think of all thethings you can have and do with 40million!

Does your toe still hurt? Who cares about that! What toe!

That shift of focus away from your smashed toe is what my combination of meds help me do.

I can manufacture that feeling on my own, but it is easier with my meds.

I have been sustaining this effect for years. I get a lot done too. Not doped out sluggish or sleepy. Friendly to be around. Helps rid the isolation of severe pain. Ya know, not driving people away with severe pain mood swings.

Don't we hate the Isolation that pain causes !
    C3,4,5....no deltoids.

Quote Originally Posted by johntom View Post
    Drudge,

In my neck of severed muscles, cut nerve endings and removed bone, I think my pain is managable now better than ever. I take 600mg Gabapentin 4 times daily for nerve pain. 800mg Ibuprofen really helps my local neck muscle pain. 10mg valium once or twice a day seems to react with the Gabapentin and makes me 'Not Care' about pain. Then I ignore it and enjoy myself. It is like feeling high on meth and everything is so fun, I forget the pain. The pain never goes away but it moves to the side.

Ouch....great pain.

That shift of focus away from your smashed toe is what my combination of meds help me do.

I have been sustaining this effect for years. I get a lot done too. Not doped out sluggish or sleepy. Friendly to be around. Helps rid the isolation of severe pain. Ya know, not driving people away with severe pain mood swings.

I deffinatly don't want a high feeling!! So far I have not had any side effects from it and hope it continues!! I deff don't want anything that could cause me to not to be soped out feeling and then take a major fall from it, I do that enough already!!! Glad to hear it does help you!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by johntom View Post
    Drudge,

Ouch....great pain.

During the beginning of your post you state all the Meds you take and then towards the end you "Almost" sound Med-Free and hang out at the Gym all day. Not to be rude, but........

I too Take Gabapentin 100mg and Xanax 1mg .....I have suffered with pain for over 34 years WITHOUT MEDS (unless you count beer) and recently had the VA trying different things on me, short of a scheduled ACDF at 2 Levels. VA started with 300mg Gaba (x3 day).....and just 1 - 300mg turned me into a ZOMBIE. Tried Mirtazapine (no help) and back on Gaba 100mg at BED ONLY with 1-2 mg of my friend Xanax. Lyrica is be suggested and hopefully be prescribed.

Sounds like we had the same Doc....It amuses me how one could handle 2400mg of Gabapentin and still function....I sure as hell couldn't.

Again, Nothing was intended in being disrespectful.....Semper Fi

Ryan ( my 19 year old incomplete C-2 son with full sensation) was on 4800 mg of Gabapentin a day and taking Nexium to counteract the stomach issues that that does can cause. His bone density is now equal to that of an 80 year old woman.

He tried Lyrica (for two days at a minimal dose) while weaning down from the Gabapentin. It messed with his head in a bad way. He started have thoughts of suicide. He is now down to 800 mg a day and doing OK in the nerve pain area. Most of his nerve pain is literally in the ass. His butt would hurt (not a skin or seating issue but nerve pain). Ryan is now maxing out on the calcuim (gone from 1000 mg a day to 4000) and taking Fortura shots to try to rebuild the bones. He stands in the frame for at least two hours a day and we are hopeful that this will work. He has the potential to walk again and the bones are key.

As others have said, everyone is different. You have to keep trying different drugs at a different combo to see what works for you. Medicaid should help pay for your drugs whichever one you take. Keep in mind that neurotin or gabapentin will take a toll on your stomach and the drugs to counteract it will effect your bones. It is all a balancing act.--eak

I took 2400 Neurontin at bedtime for several years. It helped my Fibromyalgia.
    A gradually took less and now am thinking about going back on it again (lower dose) as have been having flare ups.
    My husband is the one with SCI and it did not help him, but Lyrica does.
    It just shows we are all different.
    eak-He talks of the same butt pain too, one of the first things before he was even off of the vent. I could not understand at that time what he meant and kept asking "your anus?!"
    I hope Ryan is getting some relief. That's great he can do the standing frame. My husband is not able to. I hope things are going well for you.

Reading your posts is eye opening. Several months ago I had Prednisone induced diabetes, Cushing's syndrome and adrenal fatigue. As a result, I was placed on Lyrica and hydrocortisone to deal with pain. Now I'm working on tapering off from 300 mg of Lyrica and 30 mg hydrocortisone. I gained weight, puffiness, fuzzy thinking and fatigue. When I taper down the dose, I stay on the lower dose for two-three weeks. I've noticed increased joint pain, sleeplessness, fatigue, itchy crawling feelings on my skin and increased anxiety and nightmares. When I taper down the dose, these symptoms increase. I have stopped physical therapy because of the pain. I realize everyone responds differently, but I stopped consulting my doctors and am tapering down on my own now. I hope to get clarity of thought back and lose the weight gain in the middle. When the pain subsides, I plan to return to exercise and develop better muscle.
    Last edited by graytwinkle; 09-29-2011 at 09:09 AM.