Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Lyrica vs. Neurontin Please help!

  1. #21
    Im on the Max Safe dosage of lryica and Notice no side effects at all. (300mg, 3x day, 2 years) I tried NervRotten, and it did nothing but cause me to have Sound Pain.(as described in this thread "noise and pain" . But Everyone is different. As for the Cost. You Defently Should Apply for Med-a-cade. They help cover the cost of medications. Pain management is a Long discovery processes, Alot of Trial -n- Error. Ex. Been 2 years yesterday since my personal nightmear, and I now manage to have 3-4 good hours a day w/o unbareable pain, Which is better then last years 24/h Hell, but hay, the Burning Stopped (A Possible Burining Pain Solution for Some). So its going to be a long ~VeRy~ Hard Road for us all.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    Im on the Max Safe dosage of lryica and Notice no side effects at all. (300mg, 3x day, 2 years).
    are you on 300 a day or 900 a day?
    i think 300mg a day is the medium dose, i think you can go higher
    cauda equina

  3. #23
    Lryica, 900 mg a day .. 300mg every 8 hours, and from my understanding, its the max daily dosage.

  4. #24
    Senior Member cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    where everyone knows your name
    Posts
    4,608
    i was put on neurontin and i hated it. it made me cloudy, i had difficulty concentrating and i was nasty. thing is, i didn't even need the stuff!

    anyway, if you try neurontin, you'll have to wean off should you want to stop taking it.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

    Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

  5. #25
    Senior Member imnomis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    123
    I was taking 3,600 mg Neurontin per day (900 mg X 4). Last year I weaned off Neurontin and onto 600 mg Lyrica (200 mg X 3).

    On Lyrica I had short term memory loss and put on a lot of weight. After switching my pain gradually went from bad every other day to bad all the time. I have the pins and needles pain in my legs and feet all the time, but it would decrease in my rear every other day.

    My doctor and I made the decision for me to go back on Neurontin earlier this year. I have worked my way back to 1,500 mg of Neurontin daily (600-300-600 mg doses). Next week I will add on another 300 to the mid-day dose. The pain in my feet and legs is still there all the time, but the pain in my rear comes and goes again.

    From what I've seen on our PDL, if you area paying for your own meds yourself, Lyrica is cheaper in the long run. Even though it costs more per pill/capsule you take less per day. Since it costs less in the long run, it amazes me that we have a $25 copay for Lyrica and a $12 copay for Neurontin. You'd think it would be the other way around.

    imnomis

  6. #26
    Member harpo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lismore. NSW. Australia.
    Posts
    34

    Neurontin dose versus effectiveness

    Looking up on the official neurontin site, http://www.neurontin.com I see this:
    "Oral Bioavailability: Gabapentin bioavailability is not dose proportional; i.e., as dose is increased, bioavailability decreases. Bioavailability of gabapentin is approximately 60%, 47%, 34%, 33%, and 27% following 900, 1200, 2400, 3600, and 4800 mg/day given in 3 divided doses, respectively".
    Is it correct that 900, 1200, 2400, 3600 and 4800 mg/day gives an effective dose of 540, 564, 816, 1188 and 1246mg/day? This may be the reason why I have maxed out on neurontin as 1200mg 3/day was not handling the NP and going to 1600mg 3/day had no effect other than make me more woozy. So, how does it sit with others on neurontin that the only really effective doses are 900, 2400 or 3600mg/day?
    Anyhow, again going to the official lyrica site I get: As with all antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), if LYRICA is discontinued it should be withdrawn gradually over a minimum of 1 week to lessen the potential of increased seizure frequency in patients with seizure disorders.
    So, what is the experience of others in ramping down from around 1600mg TID neurontin while ramping up to 300mg TID lyrica?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by imnomis
    From what I've seen on our PDL, if you area paying for your own meds yourself, Lyrica is cheaper in the long run. Even though it costs more per pill/capsule you take less per day. Since it costs less in the long run, it amazes me that we have a $25 copay for Lyrica and a $12 copay for Neurontin. You'd think it would be the other way around.
    Are you using generic Neurontin? That would explain the price difference. I've heard from a number of people who find a dramtic difference in name-brand vs generic. Thankfully some people can take the generic just fine and save some money, but it's something to keep in mind. If it makes a noticeable difference, it would be worth another $13 per month.

  8. #28
    I was on Neurontin for about 4 and a half years, and now I've been on Lyrica for almost 3 months, and they both have done and do the same for me. Nothing!

  9. #29

    lyrica vs neurotin

    My husband tried neurotin(gaba) and got very little relief from chronic low back pain due to L4 L5 injury. He's been on Lyrica for 3 years now and he feels that it works better than the other dispite the side effects. He also takes Morphine tablets with an anti-nausea tablet for the really bad days. This gives him a break from the constant pain in his leg. He's already had two surgeries and now they want to do a spinal fusion but the risk is great because he's a smoker and there is less than 40% chance that it will work to relieve his pain. After 7 and a half years, his pain management doc finally said his injury is permenent and put it in writing. So now he can be declared disabled. Problem is, it's a workers comp injury. So in the transition from one agency to the other, who covers the meds and treatments? Anyone? Thanks for listening. karen

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo2
    Looking up on the official neurontin site, http://www.neurontin.com I see this:
    "Oral Bioavailability: Gabapentin bioavailability is not dose proportional; i.e., as dose is increased, bioavailability decreases. Bioavailability of gabapentin is approximately 60%, 47%, 34%, 33%, and 27% following 900, 1200, 2400, 3600, and 4800 mg/day given in 3 divided doses, respectively".
    Is it correct that 900, 1200, 2400, 3600 and 4800 mg/day gives an effective dose of 540, 564, 816, 1188 and 1246mg/day? This may be the reason why I have maxed out on neurontin as 1200mg 3/day was not handling the NP and going to 1600mg 3/day had no effect other than make me more woozy. So, how does it sit with others on neurontin that the only really effective doses are 900, 2400 or 3600mg/day?
    Anyhow, again going to the official lyrica site I get: As with all antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), if LYRICA is discontinued it should be withdrawn gradually over a minimum of 1 week to lessen the potential of increased seizure frequency in patients with seizure disorders.
    So, what is the experience of others in ramping down from around 1600mg TID neurontin while ramping up to 300mg TID lyrica?
    Thanks for pointing out the bioavailability information for gabapentin. I entered the data on a spreadsheet and plotted it so that people can see how the actual dose they are getting with increasing doses of the drug. In summary, the amount that one gets is limited to <1400 mg per day even if you are taking as much as 4800 mg per day. Bioavailability means the amount of drug that is absorbed, expressed as a percentage of the drug taken.

    Wise.

Similar Threads

  1. Neurontin vs Pregabalin
    By luke00 in forum Pain
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 01:16 PM
  2. found other neurontin side effects
    By metronycguy in forum Pain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 02:37 PM
  3. Neurontin vs Pregabalin
    By luke00 in forum Pain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
  4. ceased neurontin and better strength?
    By metronycguy in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 06:08 AM
  5. The Selling of Neurontin
    By antiquity in forum Pain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2003, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •