Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica vs. Neurontin Please help!

Lyrica vs. Neurontin Please help!

Hello all! I am new to the forum (just found it today during my search for information).

My doctor prescribed Lyrica for me this week, but I am very concerned with the cost since I have no insurance for this. I have heard that Neurontin has a generic that is more affordable. But which is better? If the Neurontin is truly much better, then I will find a way to afford it. Or is the Neurontin just as effective?

As you can tell, I am very confused! Let me give you a little background on the pain... I was hit head-on by a careless driver about a year and a half ago. I still have a burning "icy-hot" sensation in the mid-trapezius area (between my shoulder blades). The symptoms are wose in the afternoon and evening. There is also tingling in my trapezius area that goes down my arms and stops about mid-forearm. All MRIs and Xrays are normal. I still go to physical therapy and they think it may be muscle problems causing the nerve problems. I currently take Naproxen as an anti-inflammatory on a daily basis. Now they want to add Lyrica, but the cost has me scared. I quit working and took out a student loan to finish college in order to teach elementary school. I am finishing my last year now which is a ray of hope for me. Anyway, no job = no insurance so I am in a bad position. The girl that hit me had minimal auto insurance which ran out last year. Wow, I just realized how long I have been rambling. It was just nice to run across a place where people have similar issues. I just got married this year and it should be the happiest time of my life, but all I can do is try to act happy when I hurt everyday. I could use some advice. Thank you.

Karla in Florida

Memory Loss

Sorry, just one more question... do these drugs cause permanent memory loss, or does your memory work better when you come off the drug? That is a scary thought for me too. Lord knows I'm bad enough as it is

I used to be on Neurontin for nerve pain, and I got myself off of it when my whole personality changed. My roommate said I became angry and mean. I was depressed and I had suicidal thoughts. That stopped once I was off of the stuff. This does not happen for everyone, but this reaction made me sure to never use the stuff again. I rather suffer through the nerve pain than deal with that again!

Lyrica can be taken twice or thrice daily, compared to four times a day for Neurontin, and requires a lower dosage than Neurontin.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

karla i hope you spoke to a lawyer about the car accident.
    i find the memory loss and other side effect will stop when i stop taking the medication.
    i find lyrica has less side effects than neurontin, but i am on a pretty small dose of lyrica, 150 mg a day
    cauda equina

Metro,
    I did go through an attorney about the accident. Florida has very lenient law regarding uninsured and underinsured motorists. The whole situation got very complicated. The girl who hit me is dirt poor and it would be useless to sue her personally and she did not carry liability insurance... so that option is out. Here is where it gets tricky. I was driving my grandfather's car because mine had been destroyed several days earlier in Hurricane Charlie. After all the available insurance money was used, my only option was to somehow sue my grandparents since I was in their car. NOT an option. I would die a slow, painful death before I would let that happen. Florida has some screwy laws. My own personal auto insurance was no longer effective since my car was reported as destroyed earlier that week. To add insult to injury, I had just quit my job to finish school, so my health insurance was gone as well.
    After losing two cars in one week I began to think that God wanted me to buy a nice bicycle . I try very hard not to be pessimistic. There is a good side to every story. My 5 year-old daughter was in the backseat when we were hit head-on and I worried more for her than I did myself. I was aware enough to see her strapped to a backboard next to me, which is the most helpless feeling I have ever had - not being able to go to my injured child. The seatbelt had sliced into her neck from the force and I prayed to God all the way to the hospital to take her suffering away and give it to me if He had to. She walked out of the hospital with absolutely no permanent injuries, so I can not complain too much. I really am glad to be alive, although I can be miserable company on bad days.
    I am very glad to have found this forum. Good people all around. Almost like free group therapy

I was on Gabapentin, Neurontin generic, for more than two years, when I realized it just wasn't working anymore. I didn't want to increase the dose, yet again, due to severe memory lose. I've weaned down to one or two pills a day, and expect to be totally off it next week. I use a TENSS unit for pain management now. I'm happy to say it's working! My pain is bearable, my head is clear, and I'm dreaming again. I didn't even know I had stopped dreaming until I had one!

I don't know how much Lyrica costs compared to Gabapentin. The one month we had to pay for the Gabapentin when we switched health plans it cost $350. I was taking 8, 300 mgs, a day. Our present health plan doesn't pay for equipment until a deductible is met. The TENSS unit will cost about $800. Money well spent if it continues working for me!

I'm sure I could find a unit for less, if I had time to shop around. Right now, like you, we are coping with too much hurricane damage and recovery to deal with anything more. The place that supplied the unit has given me a few months to decide to buy.

Have you tried TENSS in PT?

I'm wearing a TENS on my shoulder blades right now. Doesn't do a blessed thing for the pains there, or the abdominal pains when I try it there.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Heard Lyrica has had good results except if you dont mind weight gain . It will sure put the lbs on.
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

Thanks for all the advice!! I have tried the TENSS unit in PT and it didn't do anything for me. I started on the Lyrica a couple days ago b/c I kept hearing it has less side effects that Neurontin. I suppose it is worth the $$$ if it works. It has only bee a couple days so I have no idea yet if it will work. I have noticed that I seem to have a hard time thinking of some words when I am talking. Nothing severe, but I have noticed. Sort of like I am searching for the word I want to say (mostly names). I can deal with it as long as it isn't permanent. As for the weight gain... YIKES! I certainly don't need that. I gained a bunch since the accident due to inactivity. It is an uphill battle, but like everything else it is a trade off. A few pounds for pain relief might be an even deal Just more of me to love haha.

SoFla, sorry to hear you were involved in the hurricane fiasco as well. I am a Florida native and I have NEVER experienced anything like these past two years. I hope things are looking up for your family. Things are actually getting back to normal around here somewhat. Our trees still look like something out of a Tim Burton movie... what's left of them, that is. Good luck with everything.

Thanks again for all the advice here. I received much more info from you all than I did from talking to the dr. Have a nice weekend!!