Thread: Biotech start-up aims for stem-cell breakthrough

Thumbs up Biotech start-up aims for stem-cell breakthrough

A biotechnology startup affiliated with Wake Forest University researcher Dr. Anthony Atala has been quietly amassing contracts and partnerships that place it on the leading edge of research into the disease- curing potential of stem cells.

While still an infant enterprise in a highly speculative field of science, Winston-Salem-based Plureon Corp. is one of a relatively few firms around the country that could be standing on a gold mine of both medical and financial potential -- the ability to cure diseases and treat afflictions affecting millions of people around the world, from diabetes to heart disease to bone injuries.
    Hal Eason, founder and CEO of Plureon, declined to discuss his work this week, saying that he preferred to wait until his firm had produced a peer-reviewed paper, which he expects to happen within the next few months.
    Atala, who is a Plureon board member, declined to comment as well.
    However, published information and details on the company's Web site show that the privately held firm is making research headway and has even found a way to generate revenues, though actual treatments making use of its technology are likely still years away.

That technology is known as "Plureon Stem Cells" or PSCs.

Like human embryonic stem cells, PSCs are "pluripotent" stem cells, which means that they have the ability to become any of a number of different types of human cells, such as nerve, bone, cardiac muscle, skeletal muscle, liver or insulin-secreting pancreatic cells.

And as with other types of potential stem cell therapies, the challenge for researchers is in controlling that transformation so that the "undifferentiated" cells turn into the correct cells to treat the given disease or injury safely.

Not embryonic

Unlike stem cells that come from human embryos created in the process of in vitro fertilization, though, PSCs are isolated from the placental tissue (or "afterbirth") that sustains the growing fetus during pregnancy and is expelled during the delivery.

And at least Hal Eason seems to be going about things the right way with regard to publicising his results

more on link http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/sto...tml?from_rss=1
    Last edited by Cherry; 01-23-2006 at 05:23 PM.

This is truly excellent news and reading! Anything is better than nothing. I think we should explore these guys more.

All up for exploration?

Perhaps Dr. Young can comment on the pluripotency and efficiancy of these little suckers there using.

thanks for the post Cherrylips;)

It is imparative that we explore all of this exciting news and the hope it holds! All of this information is intriguing and it is crucial to figure out which of these scientists are doing the best and help move *something* into clinical trials ASAP!!! I am exhausted from trying to play catch-up and will elaborate in more detail as i continue my research now that i am home..(sigh of relief)

Godspeed for a cure~
    Last edited by Susan Fajt; 01-24-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Cherrylips,

Can we explore these guys further?

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    Cherrylips,

Can we explore these guys further?
    Hiya Spidey,

I've emailed them and I'm waiting to hear back - Sounds like good stuff though! I'll post as soon as they get back to me. BTW I really admire your positive approach to events too - we'll get there!

jen

Cherrylips that's awesome...we welcome any new guys making progress to cure us. I am workin with Susan to explore every avenue we can to back a feasible cure.

We need to show these guys we are out here and care and give them more ammunition to execute and reverse our paralysis.

Thank- you for your optimism and information as well. It's nice to know there are others like us out there that are not afraid to email, speak up and demand!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Fajt
    It is imparative that we explore all of this exciting news and the hope it holds! All of this information is intriguing and it is crucial to figure out which of these scientists are doing the best and help move *something* into clinical trials ASAP!!! I am exhausted from trying to play catch-up and will elaborate in more detail as i continue my research now that i am home..(sigh of relief)

Godspeed for a cure~
    Yeah Susan, I'm with you on this.

As a matter of fact, I already have some PSC's stored for Jason.

The quickest avenue to the Cure is what I'm for.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl