Thread: Kidney stone

Kidney stone

I just was told there are some stones in my kidney. My dr. told me to get rid of them by ultrasound. I am only 19 months post my injury and my health is generally good. How come and how to prevent in the future? Pls help! Thank you in advance!

The only way I know how to avoid stones is to drink a lot of fluids.Believe me you don't want the experience of passing a stone!

The best fluids to drink to keep kidney stones at bay are high acid juices like orange and lemon. Cranberry is the best and you should take a concentrated form of it.

I have passed a stone (when I was AB) and it definitely is not fun!!! I have known women who have said if they had a choice between giving birth and passing a kidney stone they would give birth!! Get the ultrasound done ASAP.

"And so it begins."

Preventing kidney stones depends on what caused them. Once they get removed, the doctors will test them chemically and see what they are made of, then they can tell you for sure how they were caused.

This soon after your injury, my best guess is hat they are calcium stones from the shift of calcium out of your bones that happens to people with SCI right after they are injured.

But wait til the doctors give you the word and then ask for suggestions on prevention.

RAB