Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hystarectamy

hystarectamy

This is a question for the ladies with SCI. Since I sit most of the time now having my monthly flow is horrible. Some people told me to consider a hystarectamy (half of it remove leaving the ovaries?). Has anyone done this procedure? Any side effects? Should I go through with this? Any input thanks?

htran-

My initial reaction is that this is an EXTREME measure to take....How old are you? do you have kids already? do you want kids in the future? A hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery and would prevent you from being able to have children in the future. I cringe at the thought that someone suggested this to you as a "solution". Have you talked to a Gyno about possibly taking meds to help moderate your cycle? There are meds out there that you can take, surgery is an extreme route to go.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Yes, I sit, but I'm not thinking hysterectomy because I have a monthly period. I track my cycle and I'm prepared for it. Sitting isn't a problem. I sat at work most of the time in my office, in meetings, the car for work-related travel pre-SCI. I definitely sit more now (don't we all?), but I'm not having a hysterectmoy because I have periods. I simply go to the restroom more often when I have my period.

Hi thanks for replying. I'm thirty married for 13 years with 2 beautiful girls. My husband and I don't want anymore kids. My daughters are 12 and 6 this years. I don't want to start all over again plus life is hard right now I really don't want more complications. I've been trying to adjust and getting better. I hate it when I have it monthly. I know a lady who had it done when she was 29 due to a cervical cancer and now she's 42 and loving it. I've talk to about 10 people (all able bodies) and all of them love it. I'm confused. Any one else have any input. Thanks

What about getting on the birth control pill where you only have your period 4 times a year.

I had a hysterectemy in August. My injury was in Sept. I am glad I had it done bc I had horrible heavy 2 week long periods. I couldn't deal with that able I can't imagine now. Recovery was about 4 weeks of no lifting. I kept my ovaries but the incision was about 4 inches at my bikini line. Between that and all tha back surgeries I feel like a puzzle. Sounds extreme to do it just because though. Try that Seasonale drug where you only have 4 cycles a year.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

mine are horrible, too.... I have the most severe symptoms--vomiting, anemic, GI problems, neuropathic pain that goes through the roof--in addition to the normal bloating, headache, cramps, etc. The pain is worse when it's on my right side due to adhesions that wrap around my kidney, ovary, ureter & fallopian tubes, and colon as well as attaching to the abdominal wall.

Not much has changed since SCI other than increased back pain. I still can't imagine having a hysterectomy because I have SCI and bad periods. I agree, a hysterectomy is too extreme. Soy nuts will help soften symtoms in addition to birth control pills. (I was on them from age 10, when I started, til I got pregnant because I missed a week of school once a month.) Child birth did help soften them a little, but it's still not a mild occurance.

I am not taking BCP now bc of financial reasons, but as I type this, I sit here with my Salonpas Hot patch on my stomach and back, dosing on Pamprin, and munchin on toasted soynuts.

Another reason to see an OBGYN is your severe periods could be a sign of other problems--cysts, polyps, adhesions, fibroids or endometriosis. This ended up being the cause for my problems--after having ultrasounds done, the doc found my ovaries were twice normal size because of cysts. The BCP shrunk the cysts, so it helped with symptoms and pain as well as giving me a 4 day cycle instead of 7-34 day cycles. (My scar tissue is from antifreeze, not from endometriosis, but endometriosis was a concern when the ultrasound was done.)

htran,
    I'm in the same boat; 35yrs old with two boys. My periods are now just another pain! I have a friend who had the Novasure procedure done. It is where they cauterize (sp?) the womb so that it never builds a lining--thus having no more periods. Outpatient procedure and nothing is removed.
    I'm going to talk to my gyno next month about it. Look it up on Google search....very promising.
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

There are some drugs that can put you into 'chemical menopause' ... any gynecologist should be able to help you.

Mine offered, but I want everything yanked.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I think there is a procedure called ablation where they scar your uterus to make it stop bleeding. It's outpatent and recovery is minimal. I forgot about that. My neighbor had it and has no more trouble. Good luck
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.