Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweating while urinating

Sweating while urinating

I'm C-5/6 quad 30 months post injury with no movement but good sensitivity under my injury level. I also do sweat normally under my injury level but everytime I urinate (I do it on my own, without catheterization), above injury level, I sweat like a pig (excuse my french ). It happens all the time, no exceptions. Under no other circumstance I sweat not even closely like that. What else could it be but an epysode of an AD? Sweating gradually becomes more and more massive as my injury grows older. What to do? Any suggestions from people with similar problems? Drugs? Medications? Check ups?

Thanks

[This message was edited by DK on 02-27-03 at 17:09.]

DK - This happens to me also. For me it is because of AD. It happens for two reasons.

1) UTI. When I have a UTI urinating causes me AD attacks. Sometimes really bad.

2) Spincters aren't opening up. Sometimes my spincters are tightened up and it takes a lot of pressure in the bladder to break through them. Unfortunately, this causes reflux, kidney pain and AD. On several occasions I've had to do emergency caths to empty my bladder rather than let the reflux happen.

Avoiding stimulants and especially avoiding antihistamines will help your sphincters relax. You can also try medications like Flomax or Cardura, surgery like a sphincterotomy or having a stent put in to hold the sphincter open.

You urinate on your own....is that voluntary or from a spastic bladder? If you have a spastic or neurogenic bladder then these causes and/or solutions might also apply to you. If you have near normal urination ability then I'm not sure how much they apply. The nurses can probably help.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Your sweating sounds like autonomic dysreflexia to me. The only way to be sure is to check your blood pressure while it is happening. Even if your pressure is not high, this is a response in your body to the "pain" of urinating. Have you had a test called urodynamics? If not, it would be a good idea. Even if you had it in the past, it might be time to have it again, to check and see what's happening in your bladder when you pee. Then based on the test, medications and treatments could be prescribed. It's not really wise to try anything new until we know what's happening inside.

RAB

DK,
    That happens to me as well. I get sweaty-feeling most when I really have to urinate but have to hold it until I can get to a bathroom. It is very uncomfortable. Like everything else, there isn't much you can do about it.

Jeff - It's definitely not a UTI, I had it twice so far and, oh boy, that's something completely different (this "completely different" phrase sounds funny only when Monty Python starts ). Yeah, must be that sphincters aren't opening up and then when dyssynergy occurs between the bladder and the urethral sphincter, sweating is a result (I have neurogenic bladder apparently). Currently, I use only 40 mg of Baclofen per day and that's about all of "relaxing drugs" I take. Sphincteroctomy or a stent is out of the question (in that case, viva la sweating ). Luckily, I didn't have to have emergency catheterization(s) so far, so I guess, reflux didn't have a chance to happen... Thanks Jeff!

SCI-Nurse - A propos my blood pressure, it constants about 90/50 normally and it rises to about 130/70 while urinating and yes, I do feel pain during it. Could Flomax or Cardura as Jeff indicated help in your opinion? Any other alternative? Thank you Nurse!

Tara - "Sweaty-feeling..." sounds like a bad song I'm sorry that you experience the same problem as well... Thanks for the reply!

DK

[This message was edited by DK on 02-27-03 at 17:11.]

130/70 isn't too high a pressure to tolerate--I don't think it will hurt you. Drugs that we would use to calm down the bladder would be oxybutynin (Detropan, or Detropan XL) or tolteridine (Detrol). These will calm the spasms in the bladder and allow you to retain more urine between peeing, but they could also make you have to use a catheter it drain your bladder, so you need to weigh the pro's and con's in your situation.

Neither Flomax or Cardura would be all that much help to you in my opinion. They are really for men with enlarged prostate glands, to help them urinate past an obstruction. This is not what is going on for you right now, at least I don't think it is. If you're middle aged or older, perhaps but still not likely from what your describe.

RAB

Thanks for answering SCI-Nurse. I have one more question though, could 4-AP, in your opinion, help or change anything in this matter? Does it have any effect on bladder and bowel regime at all?

DK

RAB - Those medications relax the bladder neck in addition to their effects on the prostate. Another one is dibenzyline.

I've taken alpha blockers for over twenty years. They arent't quite the "pharmacological sphincterotomy" that they're hyped to be. But without them my urine will not flow.

The main benefit vs. spincterotomy is that you don't constantly dribble. In between bladder spasms I am totally dry. This can be up to several hours if I plan right. It's great for making love and swimming. Or any time you don't want to wear a catheter.

Could those medications also relax the anal sphincter? If not, is there anything that does?

Hmmmm.......good question. I'm not sure if the anal sphincter is striated muscle like the internal bladder sphincter or more like the smooth muscle of the external bladder sphincter [bladder neck].

I'll do a quick search and if anything interesting comes up, let you know.