Thread: Scapular winging

Scapular winging

Can oyu explain to me what this is. MY husband had a SCI five months ago @c5. He has left scapular pain and also decreased range of motion to that side. In order to get his arm over his head I have to lift the scapula along with the movement. Is ther any treatment that can be done. The doctors were just treatin him with Vicodin for the pain, but that is causing stomache upset and hypotensio. Also increases the fatigue that he has...
    I'm just trying to gather some information for our next Dr. visit
    Thanks, STacey

Proper movement at the shoulder joint involves a coordination of shoulder proper and scapular muscles that are supplied by nerves at the C5 level and below. He may simply have non functional muscles due to his level of injury. Excluding surgical problems such as compression, syrinx, etc., recovery, time, and physical therapy can help restore correct shoulder movement as is possible. This is especially noticeable in abduction (arm over head). Without correct scapular movement you can get chronic rotater cuff irritation and deterioration (impingement syndrome). He needs an eval for all muscles involved to see if they are being supplied by nerves from the cord still and take it from there. Once the eval is made, the correct treatment or adaptation can be decided.

I have the same problem and no one has given me any real treatment options. In my case, I was overcompensating and using the scapula because other muscles did not function anymore. My right side became severely winged and visually it looked like my shoulder blade was coming out of my back. It is still painful at times if it gets overworked. I stayed severely winged for about three years until getting a new chair with a tall back which kept some pressure (watch for pressure sores) on both the scapula and shoulder blade and it has gotten somewhat better. it has flattened out. The real answer is to try and strengthen some of the other muscles where the scapula does not have to work so hard, but that is easier said than done.

Both my scapulae are badly winged, and negatively affect the use of my arms because they rub on and get stuck on other bones.

Any new advances in medicine over the last 16 years to help with winging scapula? My guess is it's like most other aspects of sci and there has been zero change.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Both my scapulae are badly winged, and negatively affect the use of my arms because they rub on and get stuck on other bones.
    Ditto for me Alan, my fellow kindred spirit in pain.
    Carl R: How can you un-wing yourself if the muscles opposing the muscles causing the winging are not connected? The only muscles remaining connected to you VNS are pulling your arms away from your torso as I understand it.

The neurologic changes with a spinal cord injury are what causes the winging. The muscles over compensate for those not working. If you can strengthen the muscles that are weak - not absent in strength - that can help. Unfortunately, there is no magic potion that fixes the neurologic system, as you know.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Part of my central pains portfolio is the feeling that my winged shoulder blades and vertebrae are sticking through my hardened, skinned, burning skin. Between those sennsations and the shoulder blades catching, moving my arms gets more and more difficult with time, due to the pains and sticking getting worse and worse. It stinks.
    Last edited by alan; 05-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Part of my central pains portfolio is the feeling that my winged shoulder blades and vertebrae are sticking through my hardened, skinned, burning skin. Between those sennsations and the shoulder blades catching, moving my arms gets more and more difficult with time, due to the pains and sticking getting worse and worse. It stinks.
    I was told 20 years ago that they can wire the scapula to the rib cage keeping it from sticking out. Not sure if it was even true because I never researched it but it seemed like if it was true after all these years advancements in materials would allow them to use something flexible instead of bolts and wire. I feel your pain alan my scapula are jacked up.

Blog Entries
    Straight up true Smity