Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For anyone working in the Computer Field:

Let's see...I work with the following:

C++
    VB
    JavaScript
    Java
    HTML
    LotusScript (like C++ but made to develop in Lotus notes)
    SAS
    COBOL

Hmmm...I think that is it. Let me know if you have any questions concerning any of these and how/where I use them. It is good to get perspectives on all aspects. Then you can make an informed decision about what you want to do the rest of your life.

My work involves both hardware and software - my focus is on the entire systems for implantable pacemakers and defibrillators. I work with excellent hardware and with excellent software engineers. A few of them are knowledgeable about "the other side," although they don't do design outside their specialty. Those people are the most valuable for our kind of work, as they are able to make the most efficient use of what they have to work with. I expect that in the coming years there will be even more emphasis on small systems (autos, dishwashers, pacemakers, wheelchairs, streetlights, you name it), where the person with a broad knowledge of both HW and SW will have a lot of opportunities. So don’t completely freeze out either side, but get a broad education.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    Question to the Software people out there. Do you find yourself constantly under pressure to learn the newest language out there to stay ahead of the game and marketable? Like on your free time do you sit down and learn up on the newest trends or what?
    No pressure at all. Companies don't invest in implementing a new language or technology just because it's the "newest greatest thing". Business needs are the driving force behind technology not the other way around. Most companies have absolutely NO problem sending programmers to training just as long as it can be justified. The only exception is contractors... there on their own.