Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the longest you have went without a bm

whats the longest you have went without a bm

i was out w/ friends last night and my buddy was whining that he hadnt shit in 4 days. im thinking to myself that nothing.........so the question whats the longest you have went between bm's.

my longest was 14 days........then finally went good. didnt make me sick or anything. i think its very mental when it comes to sci and bowels
    Last edited by fuentejps; 01-22-2006 at 07:50 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

6 days - In an attempt to train my body to go on it's own I just waited and waited to go naturally. After 6 days my stomach hurt so damn bad I used a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon
    6 days - In an attempt to train my body to go on it's own I just waited and waited to go naturally. After 6 days my stomach hurt so damn bad I used a bullet.
    thats how i started going on my own. while in rehab,. i told my doc i could feel when i had to go. so he stopped all bowelmeds, which i refused anyway, then after about a week i went, never did a bowel program again.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Same for me Fuente. I never did a BP after I left the rehab center. I went when I felt the urge. I've been in this chair for a long damn time and have had several extended periods of no poop. I know I've been 13-14 a couple of times and if my old-ass memory serves me right, 16 was the max. And it only caused minor discomfort.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye
    Same for me Fuente. I never did a BP after I left the rehab center. I went when I felt the urge. I've been in this chair for a long damn time and have had several extended periods of no poop. I know I've been 13-14 a couple of times and if my old-ass memory serves me right, 16 was the max. And it only caused minor discomfort.
    so ya'll just wait until you get AD then run for the shitter?
    C5-6 - 22 years

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye
    DeadEye, did the surgeon say anything to you about an extended length colon when you had your colostomy? The surgeon that did mine said it was about 18 ft long, normal is about 9 ft. He said the cause was probably from incomplete BP's over the years. It had even attached to the spleen and caused major complications during my surgery.
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

Bowel program

Quote Originally Posted by Spadfan
    DeadEye, did the surgeon say anything to you about an extended length colon when you had your colostomy? The surgeon that did mine said it was about 18 ft long, normal is about 9 ft. He said the cause was probably from incomplete BP's over the years. It had even attached to the spleen and caused major complications during my surgery.
    Dear William,
    does this mean you follow a bowel program now? I am a C6 complete , and I have followed a bowel program for as long as I've been injured, which is 11 months. I take a great deal of pain medication and I do not waNT any blockage or any type of bowel problem now. I I would go insane , if I didn't have a bowel movement for four days , let alone 14! Is it different for paraplegics then for a quads? Even if I didn't take the Meds, I would still follow my program. I keep thinking of Elvis and John Wayne . when I think of not pooping!!!
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

14 days? My stomach would look like baby Shamu.
    The longest I went was seven days and that was after surgery and lots of narcotics. My stomach was totally bloated and I was literally full of it.
    I hope I never repeat that again. I'm totally regular now (everyday), but it takes a strict diet and lots of water to stay this way.

Smile

For me I think it was over two weeks. Holy crap Batman! yikes, but I have lots of probs with diverticulitis, infections in my intestines and colon, so I have to watch it more close now. The idea of a clear diet for a week again is not my idea of fun. I have either one extreme or the other it seems like. Everything should not revolve around the crapper in life.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

I've been going from extreme to extreme. I went 3 days without a BM despite taking the Senna and Colace and doing my daily routine of dig-stim and/or suppository. Today I knew I was constipated. This afternoon I wanted to see what was wrong.

I got in the tub and "felt" and realized I was backed up (stool was hard) so I broke it up and ran to the toilet. Well ... when it rains it pours ... and pours ... and pours. Each time I thought I was done (and would get up) more would come out and worst thing is that it was really messy (soiled the sheets, the mattress, the carpet ... all of the above 3 times) ... and my mom kept yelling at me (as if I didn't feel pretty bad about it as is) ...

Still feeling bad.

Bowel programs suck.
    Daniel