Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Style versus substance

Everybody wishes they had more,Quad or Para we all wanna walk,thats the ultimate goal...but for the here and now,its all about being or finding a way to comfortable in out own skins and living,not just existing.

My last post removed cause it pissed off the PETA people,whatever,im a dog guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Yeah, I'd be pissed about the moldy bread too. Lol.
    Last edited by roshni; 01-27-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Everybody wishes they had more,Quad or Para we all wanna walk,thats the ultimate goal...but for the here and now,its all about being or finding a way to comfortable in out own skins and living,not just existing.

Absolutley! The reason I made the comment was because I hate
    generalization. Some quad's can walk and have full sensation,
    some can't move a muscle below their neck. Some para's have
    good sexual function and spasticity and some have a flaccid,
    good for nothing lower half. We all want it back and most of us
    don't care how. I wish everyone well. Later.

Oh yeah, Fuck PETA.

NOT Equal (to the tired debate with those trying so hard to feel legitimate)

Are people just dense because of some genetic abnormality or just playing dense cuz they think it makes them look cute or something?

If LOSS of or diminished function is EQUAL to another without the same loss, then what differentiates SCI from a non-sci/AB person?

If it isn't worse, then why even care to have any return or improvement from your current SCI status, regardless what it is?

Generalizations are sometimes necessary and helpful, and statistically relevant. Generalizations are NOT stereotypes (which are baseless and use limited and extreme cases).

Nevertheless, Chris Chappell QUALIFIED his post, recognizing that not all SCI fit a simple 'quad' or 'para' classification, but most here with a reasonable number of brain cells should understand what the distinction being made is and how it is being used. The comparison is FUNCTION LOSS and Decreased/Lost Independence.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    its all about being or finding a way to comfortable in out own skins and living,not just existing.
    This is fine and good thought, but this is NOT WHAT THIS BRIEF Hijacking issue is about. People have different ways to cope with their situations, and many quads being content and relatively well adjusted (some studies showing quads being even more/better adjusted and happy than paras), but the coping, tolerance and other psychological aspect of the issue is a different issue altogether .

But to continually attempt to dismiss the fact that LOSS of FUNCTION is the SAME and EQUAL to NON-LOSS, is Self-Serving trite.

No one is saying that even a littlest lost function isn't difficult, because it is. ANY type of paralyses is difficult. But DON'T try to validate YOUR difficulties by making some ridiculous comparison claiming "everything is equal or the same".

This tired issue usually gets rehashed when people (who are relatively independent) make the broad, self indulgent comparison that "everything is equal".

This just necessitates correction by those who more perceptive and possess this strange human quality called Empathy.

Interesting dialouge. My knee jerk reaction is to suppose a high quad is way worse off then a para, but then, I reminded myself that I really wouldn't know since I've never lived with a paraplegic injury. I have nothing to compare to. But, oh, do I ever dream of independence and the ability to do simple things like drive myself to work and back.
    Last edited by Susan M; 01-28-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Shaun, I enjoyed your nuked kitty on moldy bread analogy! LOL

Whether quad or para, I cannot say I have it worse than anyone else. I don't know another person's threshold or tolerance for all things SCI.

As for the original topic of this thread, I'm definitely a substance kinda gal with the occasional dash of style.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    ...I'm definitely a substance kinda gal with the occasional dash of style.
    Nicely phrased, Mem.

well said chick

Chris,

Apples and Oranges!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell
    fuente - like I said, exceptions to every rule. You are an exception.

But if you're going to try and tell me that a vent dependent quad or C2,3,4 with NO arm function has it "equally difficult" then you my friend are smokin' something. I'm at a rehab hospital every month - paras generally leave independently in 8-10 weeks. Quads to their home with assistance, a nursing home / assisted living facility after 12. Its nowhere near the same.

I think if you look at it you're making the generalization skewed to your situation. Most don't have 1/8 of what you and I have fuente. Perspective based on hard reality not your local gang of quad rugby players, etc.
    Let me ask you a question, if you do follow-up on the paras, what do they tell you?, and I'm not saying two (2) or three (3) months after but make that years. Ooh, and don't leave out whether they got insurance settlements or not.

I have (had) a friend Debbie Donald a C2 with a pacemaker in her abdomen placed there 20 years ago? -- she spent two (2) hours getting ready for church which she never missed.
    She kicked my arse sailing, she got married just about before she passed.
    Couldn't have missed her painting and her relentless passion for life.

I had a whole bunch of stuff written that I just deleted -- having read to the end of this thread, there's no point in recanting what others have said.

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~