Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scoliosis and balance

scoliosis and balance

Even with a corset, I'm having major problems keeping my balannce (and thus using my arms) due to my scoliosis (and all the shifting around I do to maintain my balance aggravates my back, and results in red marks and sores.) How do my fellow quads with scoliosis handle this balance/lopsided feeling issue?

FYI, mine curves to the right. In between the shoulder blades, my spine veers off (looks like there would be a pinched nerve, but no orthopod ever said anything about that.) My lumbar spine is flattened, and my neck is curved opposite of normal. My right side is torqued forward. This is a report from an old x-ray - don't know what a new one would show. Probably increased degree of curvature.

Sitting, laying - both are major uncomfortable.

[This message was edited by alan on 01-09-03 at 23:20.]

Alan, most people who have these types of problems require some type of custom seating system...often a pour-in-place or blow-in-place system is required. Have you explored this?

(KLD)

I am t-10 but still have problems with standing and walking in my braces due to scoliosis. They cut my left side about 8 inches to get access to the front of my spine. Now I am always lope-sided. I am doing side bends to try and straighten things the best I can. X-rays look bad but the doc said to just watch it.

If you jog in a jogging suit, lounge in lounging
    pajamas, and smoke in a
    smoking jacket, WHY would anyone want to wear a
    windbreaker?

Alan, I agree wsith KLD's advice. You need lateral back supports that will hold you in an upright and relatively straight position. You should see an orthotist for a custom molded back or a PT for a seating eval. and suggestions on a foam in place or pneumatic back.

Actually, the doctor's order for a pour-in seat back is in the mail to my provider. I hope it helps - it would seem to me that such a system would conform to my curve, rather than counter it in any way?

That's true Alan but the point is to prevent further deformity, not correct the deformity that's there. If you go with the pour-in-place back, insist on having corrective forces molded in before it hardens.

Should I wear my corset during the pouring? I forgot to ask the seating guru.

You should wear the same thing you would wear after the seating system is finished. Do you wear the corset to help with your posture or for blood pressure management or both?

(KLD)

Alan,
    I keep my balance pushing by slumping with my butt as far forward as possible and keep my head back or I tip forward. When writing I keep my left arm around the handle. I mentioned going in for rods and fusion in Feb. Now I don't know if I'll have enough help during recovery or if my boss will let me as we are so short handed after the election and administration change. I somehow don't trust the doctor when he says I can be back to work in 3 weeks. Ihe scoliosis screws up so many things from the way clothes fit to driving comfort and safety.It's causing real sharp pains along my whole right side and lots of shouder pain when reaching infront and turning the car steering wheel.WR

I have lateral pads on the sides of my chair. Don't think it's keeping the curve from getting worse tho, just keeping me sitting up.