Thread: Is my doctor correct?

Is my doctor correct?

I am a 24 year old C5 since July 21, 2003. I've gone to see my doctor about getting a bone density check. He said being young and having the background of very heavy lifting everyday for years while working would mean my bones are still very strong. He said the bone density check wouldn't be nesisary and to take calcium suppliments and Vitamin D.

The reason I wanted a bone density check is because I would like to get an Easy Glider 6000 but I don't want to just stand up in one and fracture a bone from the weight my legs haven't been holding up for some time. So do I have much to worry about? Or would it be safe to try and stand after this amount of time?

I think he is right, it is pretty safe, I stood after more than 20 years with no problem. A bone will mostly break if you apply a force in another direction than its axis, standing does not do that. We could go on testing this and that and "theorize" about it without being certain about anything. In the USA they do a lot of that testing ($$) from what I see on the forums, I just don't see the real benefit.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Sweet deal, thanks JGNI, I will stop worrying about it and just try to convince my insurance company that it's a good idea for me to stand and move in an Easy Glider.

Osteoporosis or heterotrophic ossifications isa concern. You do need to take extra Calcium & Vit D to help prevent osteo.And the placement of weight on the extremities will help prevent osteo also.
    You proably don't require one now but can't rule out the possibility in the future.
    Osteopenia which is the first indication is due to decreased cells. I had this osteopenia in my left wrist after I started having left shoulder pain. Not total disuse or paralysis but I used it less do to pain and I wasn't taking extra calcium but thought enough was in my diet. BMD test picked up the osteopenia.

I upped the calcium & Vit D and got rid of the pain and used it more the BMD test was normal the next year.
    So,I would agree with your doctor that it is not required now but I don't think a baseline would hurt (my family doctor had one in her office) or when ever the opportunity arises you could get a baseline and repeat it periodically to be sure.
    Defintely take the calcium & Vit D as preventative- the pills are huge, the chews are very tasty!They even have sugar free!

CWO

Thanks CWO, I did buy some calcium and vitamin D suppliments and yes the calcium is a horsey pill. I'll have to check in to those chewables.

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?
    I'm not saying you should worry and I agree basic supplements would be a good idea, but I also don't think the test would hurt. If you do have a problem you can start taking miacalcin (calcitonin? a nasal spray that seems pretty benign to me) right away and do other things to prevent further bone loss. I think more information is almost always a good thing, before circumatances screw you and make you take notice. My comment is colored I admit by one of my pet peeves, the failure of the majority of doctors to acknowledge that noboby knows your body better than the person living inside of it. Until I write my book and it becomes required reading in all med schools, my advice is to hear their input but follow your instncts. I got a bone densit problem while I still was walking, albeit with crutches, and lifting weights. I think medications played a large role...something else to consider if you are taking anything (like steroid) that might predispose you.

Don't know your age or gender, but my gynecologist gave me a baseline dexa at 35 as a matter of policy. I otherwise would never have known or imagined i had a problem.

Someone once recommed Tums as a calcium source. Is it?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    Someone once recommed Tums as a calcium source. Is it?
    Yes. tums has lots of calcium.
    Wise.