Thread: I had foot surgery, am recovering well

I had foot surgery, am recovering well

An update to my 4-1/2 month saga with my foot that I fractured (the heel bone) and partially tore my plantar fascia. It was immobilized for 2 months with limited weight bearing, then just a walking cast for another month, then physical therapy for the last 1.5 months. After ALL that, it was actually worse than when the original injury occurred (... all from missing the bottom step on the stairs and coming down too hard on my foot).

So, I went to the doctor last thursday and he had an opening for surgery the very next day OR wait for 5-6 weeks. So I rushed off to my primary care doc to get a pre-op physical and rushed back to fill out the forms, called the insurance, etc, etc and actually got it all done in time for the surgery the next AM. I was given fentanyl, versaid (sp?) and some other la-la land drug + a block from my knee down on the affected side. The surgery took all of 17 minutes. No weight bearing all weekend, then went back to doctor on Monday. He took me out of the cast and put me in a walking shoe (not a cast FINALLY!!) and I have been astonished at how quickly I'm able to walk again. Not alot mind you, and with a fair amount of pain, but as he showed me, the pain is now NOT from my tendon but is totally from the incision area and massive bruising that resulted since he had to dig down to my toes to pull out that ripped tendon. He found it was severely, severly damaged and said there was no possible way it would have ever healed and that I have a very high pain tolerance.

SO .... the long and short of it is that I should be good to go in a few weeks and I will be so, so, so grateful to able to walk pain free again. After 4.5 MONTHS of this, including MOVING while injured, I am so ready to be free again. I will be able to stop saying to my beleagured 5 year old "I'm sorry honey, mommy can't (fill in the blank) because my foot hurts". I really think he has suffered from my lack of being able to play with him or even go up the stairs (he has slept in our room downstairs since it happened).

So this got longer than I intended, but there's the update (... as if anyone was keeping track! )
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Ami,

You're returning to the land of the AB fully ambulatory, eh?

:roll:
    Daniel

I'm glad you are doing so well. Continued recovery to you.

Well as a matter of fact ..yes.. I've been wondering ..... glad you're finally sorta healthy again ..... hang in there woman!!!!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Ami,

You're returning to the land of the AB fully ambulatory, eh?

:roll:
    LOL! Yes, and now I *really* understand the "temporarily able bodied" phrase....!!! The funny part is that I had to use a wheelchair over the weekend so I could keep all weight off and keep it elevated at the same time. I was a total dork, running into doors, people, small children, large hulking objects (like the bumper of our van, really!!). My profound admiration at the upper body strength needed to use a manual chair went substantially up.

Obi - I know that song in your quote!! What an old song ... but a great one. Thanks for the well wishes!

Heal well, Ami... my best wishes and prayers for you.
    "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac