Thread: Mary Tyler Moore Speaks Out On Stem Cell Research

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow Mary Tyler Moore Speaks Out On Stem Cell Research

Mary Tyler Moore Speaks Out On Stem Cell Research
    "Our finest scientists are leaving the United States because of this restriction on stem cell use. We are hopeful that this will be a factor in reconsidering the original dogma that said 'you can only use stem cells that were delivered prior to August of 2001." -- Mary Tyler Moore on Larry King Live

Mary Tyler Moore and her fellow JDs go to the Hill! The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, a global leader, supports the International Society for Stem Cell Research to focus the world's top stem cell scientists on developing stem cell therepies for juvenile diabetes. -- Photo courtesy Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)

On a recent television interview, Larry King asked Moore, "Do you think one day you are going to see a headline?"

Moore: "Yes, I do.

King: "You haven't seen one since polio?"

Moore: "Yes, that's right. I think it is possible. Stem Cell. Stem Cell!"

King: "We have to push this, though."

Moore: "Yes, we do. We do and I will ask people out there who can, write a letter to their congressman, that they do so and ask them if they voted on behalf of this proposed bill. If you thank them and if they didn't write to them and tell them why they should, the next time they have the opportunity."

King: "This is federal funding?"

Moore: "Yes, federal funding."

King: "The federal government does not stop private companies from doing it."

Moore: "No, not at all. But we need the money."

Imagine having to tell parents that their child is a juvenile diabetic. Soon the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation will debunk the myths of the disease by telling these parents: Simply adding insulin unfortunately does not cure the disease, nor does it protect the sufferer from eventual complications such as kidney failure, blindness, heart disease, limb amputation, or stroke.

Tragically, diabetes type 1 shortens a person's life expectancy by 15 years. It's a myth that juvenile diabetes is caused by diet or that it is related to obesity.

The unfortunate toddler with juvenile diabetes must soon learn to say "No cake, please" at every birthday party. If stem cell research can find the cure, we vote for stem cell research to give these kids a chance for victory…a cure ASAP! With a vaccine, we wiped out the dread fear of polio for our kids. Juvenile diabetes should be our next goal!

-- Cory SerVaas, M.D.

By Holly G. Miller
    Published: September/October 2005

Editor's Note: As one of television's most endearing stars, Mary Tyler Moore--a.k.a. Laura Petrie and Mary Richards--has always had the ability to "turn the world on with her smile." Lately, in her role as international chairman of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, she has good reason to smile. When she and her supporting cast of 150 children visited Capitol Hill this summer on behalf of stem cell research, they nearly brought down the House…and Senate. She's winning support, vote by vote.

Post: You've served as international chairman of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) for more than 20 years now. Why, in 2005, are you especially optimistic about finding a cure?

Moore: Stem cell research, more than anything else at this point, gives me hope for the complete cure and prevention of diabetes.

Post: You went to Capitol Hill to testify in support of an expansion of the federal funding policy governing embryonic stem cell research. Your visit was part of JDRF's Children's Congress, which brings 150 diabetic kids to the Capitol to meet with their representatives and senators, Did you sense a growing momentum among legislators for the cause?

Moore: Definitely so. A huge percentage of the American population is pro-stem cell. They want it. I began to see in the Senate exciting reactions to what the children had to say and what I had to say. When we were finished, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Let me tell you, these children's stories are so touching. It was very encouraging.

Moore: The reason I was in Washington was to talk to people in the Senate and ask them to join with members of the House of Representatives in taking another look at what can be done with stem cells. These are embryos that are thrown away. We are merely asking to let science work with them rather than throw them in the trash. A large step forward could be taken if President Bush would give us some more stem cells to work on. The few that he allocated for federal funding turned out to be, most of them, contaminated. That greatly reduced what science could do to develop them.

(Note: After listening to the concerns of the scientific community, the U.S. House of Representatives voted to pass the Castle-DeGette Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act on May 24 by a vote of 238-194, despite the President's threat to veto. No date has yet been set for a vote on the Senate Stem Cell Research Act of 2005.)

Post: Some people caution that we shouldn't overestimate the potential of stem cell research.

Moore: Yes, I've heard that before. But what if that's wrong? What if we are underestimating the potential? We cannot possibly walk away from this because the promise is so strong. I've spoken with scientists, and they tell me there's good reason to believe that we can do it. We need to have this release from the President just to keep the scientists, who are dying to get their hands on this, from going to foreign countries where the cash is more readably available to get into this science. You know, America used to be the leader in things medical and now we are really lagging behind, or we will be very soon.

Post: You've said in the past that embryonic stem cell research is life affirming because a young family can choose to donate a fertilized egg not used for in vitro fertilization.

Moore: To me, it's very much like the dilemma that is caused when people have lost a loved one and there is the possibility to donate certain organs for transplant. It would be so wonderful to be able to save lives with this, and that's what awaits us down the road.

Post: You and your husband, Dr. S. Robert Levine, have raised millions of dollars as co-chairmen of the Stem Cell Research Fund within the JDRF. But federal dollars also are needed?

Moore: Yes, that's right. That's the crux of the situation. It's going to take more dollars because we have now reached the point where we are going from the bench to the bedside. [Doctors and scientists] are actually working on human patients in trying to stem the progression of diabetes. They have had some miraculous results--wonderful breakthroughs--from this, but when you deal with human beings, it's a great deal more expensive.

http://www.satevepost.org/issues/200.../7370588.shtml

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Great news! Thanks for posting this Faye. It cheered me up after a long day.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Right on Mary!

Thanks for the post Faye.
    Very good to see this point of view in print from someone so prominent and respected in her own field.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Post: Some people caution that we shouldn't overestimate the potential of stem cell research.

Moore: Yes, I've heard that before. But what if that's wrong? What if we are underestimating the potential? We cannot possibly walk away from this because the promise is so strong. I've spoken with scientists, and they tell me there's good reason to believe that we can do it. We need to have this release from the President just to keep the scientists, who are dying to get their hands on this, from going to foreign countries where the cash is more readably available to get into this science. You know, America used to be the leader in things medical and now we are really lagging behind, or we will be very soon.

Post: You've said in the past that embryonic stem cell research is life affirming because a young family can choose to donate a fertilized egg not used for in vitro fertilization.

Moore: To me, it's very much like the dilemma that is caused when people have lost a loved one and there is the possibility to donate certain organs for transplant. It would be so wonderful to be able to save lives with this, and that's what awaits us down the road.

ADULT STEM CELLS and DIABETES

DIABETES CLINICAL TRIALS

• FIRST USE OF CORD BLOOD TO ALTER COURSE OF TYPE 1 DIABETES, June 25, 2007 – (I’ll bet nobody heard of this one!)transfusion of stored, autologous (i.e. the person’s own), umbilical cord blood into a group of children newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes appears to have reduced their disease severity, possibly re-setting the immune system and slowing the destruction of their insulin-producing cells, according to a report presented today at the American Diabetes Association’s 67th Annual Scientific Sessions. –http://parentsguidecordblood.org/con...R-06-25-07.pdf(The ADA in 2007 knew stem cells can treat Diabetes type 1 in children!)
    • Diabetes type 1 stem cell clinical trial – Enrollment 11/2003-4/2008, follow-up until December 2008 – http://repairstemcell.wordpress.com/...linical-trial/

• Why no diabetes clinical trial s in the US when mice were cured of diabetes type 1 in the 1990’s? - Weissman, a professor of pathology and developmental biology at Stanford University, states: “Stem cells are rare, self-renewing, and can regenerate body tissues.” He repeatedly expressed frustration that while many of his discoveries seemed to hold remarkable potential for life-saving treatments, commercial or regulatory hurdles have prevented his scientific research from benefiting human beings. One example is, his mid-’90s research on type I diabetes, in which he demonstrated the ability to fully cure type I diabetes in mice using stem cells.Even though the experiments avoided political controversy by using adult/repair stem cells, which do not come from embryos, Weissman ran into a road block when pharmaceutical companies refused to sponsor clinical trials. The therapy went nowhere. “The pharmaceutical companies had put profit over principle, preferring to keep diabetes sufferers dependent on costly insulin than to cure them once and for all.” – http://repairstemcell.wordpress.com/...pe-1-diabetes/

Are we influenced by the same mechanisms? - I sometimes fear that..

"Weissman ran into a road block when pharmaceutical companies refused to sponsor clinical trials. The therapy went nowhere. “The pharmaceutical companies had put profit over principle, preferring to keep diabetes sufferers dependent on costly insulin than to cure them once and for all."

Ought to scare the hell out of people.. But how many knows?
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.