Thread: Ohio State Experts Receives $1M for Research!

Exclamation Ohio State Experts Receives $1M for Research!

Look at the great work being done at Ohio State!

Ohio State Spinal Cord Injury Expert Receives $1M for Research

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Scientists from The Ohio State University College of Medicine are recipients of a three-year, $1 million award from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke for spinal cord injury (SCI) research.
    Phillip Popovich, professor of neuroscience and director of the Center for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair, and colleagues are focused on understanding neuro-inflammatory mechanisms that control repair of damaged cells and pathways at the injury site of the traumatized spinal cord.
    Ultimately, the researchers would like to engage and manipulate receptors on immune cells, specifically the Triggering Receptor Expressed on Myeloid cells (TREM2), after SCI. Precise activation of TREM2 should help cells interact with the nervous system in a in a way that promotes repair, according to the researchers.
    “This award will allow us to begin to understand the signaling mechanisms that regulate function of white blood cells, specifically macrophages that are recruited and activated after spinal cord injury,” says Popovich, also the Ray W. Poppleton Research Designated Chair in Ohio State’s College of Medicine.
    Macrophages express numerous receptors that, when activated by molecules at the injury site, transmit “stop” or “go” signals that either silence or activate macrophage repair functions. According to Popovich, this newly-funded research project will reveal whether activating or over-expressing TREM2 receptors on macrophages will affect how these cells influence repair in the injured spinal cord.
    “After we manipulate this receptor and assess the outcome from SCI, we will have a better idea of whether similar approaches can be developed for clinical use,” Popovich adds.

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/mediaro...-Research.aspx

what I took from this video is that this type of Treatment would be for really acute injuries. Am I mistaken?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

No, I don't believe it's an acute only issue...I think they need a better understanding of the inflammatory mechanisms. If something in a proposed therapy starts activating or stopping the cell repair, they need to know as much about it as possible and gain control over those mechanisms very quickly. I'd hate for the perfect therapy to go south when the inflammation problem again rares it's ugly head (perhaps at the worst possible time)...We need to know how to control it at all stages of the game. ...IMHO.

TREM2
    The protein encoded by this gene is a membrane protein that forms a receptor signaling complex with TYROBP. The encoded protein may be involved in chronic inflammation by triggering the production of constitutive inflammatory cytokines.

Hello, I am a health reporter from the Star-Ledger, the state newspaper in New Jersey. I have just joined the site to learn more about the topic. I hope that's okay with everyone. Grammy, I've heard a lot about you and your knowledge of the issues. May I call you or email you directly about something? I'm at slivio@starledger.com. 609-989-0802. I plan to be at the conference next week.

Welcome Susan. Grammy does us all proud. It's great to see these issues getting some attention, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Welcome Susan. Grammy does us all proud. It's great to see these issues getting some attention, thank you!

+1 here
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SusanKLivio View Post
    Hello, I am a health reporter from the Star-Ledger, the state newspaper in New Jersey. I have just joined the site to learn more about the topic. I hope that's okay with everyone. Grammy, I've heard a lot about you and your knowledge of the issues. May I call you or email you directly about something? I'm at slivio@starledger.com. 609-989-0802. I plan to be at the conference next week.
    Welcome Susan. You will find Grammy well informed, level headed and accurate. She and several in these forums are great sources for information and are active as providers behind the little avatars.