Thread: Mother with sci fighting for her son!

Mother with sci fighting for her son!

I was 23 when I became a tetraplegic. When my car accident happened, my baby was 7 months old. His father and I were dating for 5 yrs. He decided he needed space and we eventually broke up 1 month later. Brady is 3 1/2 now. It has been a custody battle since. Wright now, we have joint legal and physical. I have Braden while he's working and every other weekend. Now that Braden is approaching school, he’s taking me back for full custody. He does not want to give up anytime what so ever. He makes me feel like a babysitter, not a mom. We go to court on Jan. 26th. I was wondering if you could refer me to other people in the same predicament. I would really like to chat with them. I need to know there is hope. Any info would be great. I want to be prepared! Thanks

Hiya,

Im really sorry for your situation and Im sure the courts will do whats right for your boy. I wish i could advise you on the legalities but if you want to chat to another, albeit new, mum then im here!

All the very best, Jen

I am going through a divorce and understand your fears. My children are 5 and 8. What state do you live in? They can not take your son because of your disability. I have some resources for you. I will look them up.

Oh, Mindylouwill. I've been there and done that! Your son, Brady is a baby, he needs his "mommy" right now. If you take care of his daily needs, and he's loved and safe, nd you are way more than a babysitter and don't let your ex make you feel otherwise. I'm sure no Judge will remove him from your custody. My ex tried the same thing when my son was 8 years old, and I brought in friends and neighbors who restated that I was indeed a great mom, and he was loved and very well cared for. Just have them waiting in the wings when you go before the Judge. My ex lost his battle their and then that day, he didn't stand a chance. The Judge even took my son into a back office to talk with him privately, but your son's way to young for that. Just have your back up (friends, neighbors) and have a good attorney in your corner. That's just one of several things he tried to do and failed at every turn. I would really be surprised if the Judge did not rule in your favor. Stay strong,,,it will be over soon.
    As long as you let the Judge know you can handle anything that comes along, school, transportation to/from, etc. and you've cared for him all this time, why would your ex want to upset your baby's life anymore than it already is. He's used to these arrangements by now, why traumatize him even more? Can he take off work to stay home should your baby become sick during the night? What's his back up if he should be sent on a business trip for a week, or even two days?
    Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Keep us posted on the outcome please.

Queen
    Last edited by queen; 01-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Is he trying to take your son away because of your disability, or just because he is a jerk? Is your disability an issue in this at all? If so, you may want to contact the Through the Looking Glass Foundation.

They have helped a lot of other parents with disabilities who have had their ability to parent challenged in divorce and custody battles. They also have a discussion board and plenty of resources and links:

http://lookingglass.org/index.php

(KLD)

First let me begin by saying that I know what you're going through is terrifying, draining, maddening, frustrating and in general a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

Court is war so remember to bring the biggest gun (attorney) you can get your hands on and all the ammo (evidence) you can find to support your case. Even then it's a 50/50 proposition at best.

We all know you're capable. Question is will the judge be open minded enough to see it as well?

I wish you all the best and please remember you're not alone. Post here or email anyone of us anytime for moral support. Hang in there...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

I don't have any advice, just support. A custody battle over my daughter has been a big fear of mine too.

Thanks everyone for your support! I'll keep you updated.....