Thread: Info. on sterilizing equip. for reuse?

Info. on sterilizing equip. for reuse?

Question from my brother.

Is is a good idea to sterilize 60 ml, bulb syringes or catheters etc. for reuse and how could it be done?
    Lucky

We do not recommend reusing or trying to sterilize indwelling catheters by boiling, as it is is likely to cause the catheter and balloon to deteriorate, and may also make any coating peel or flake off the catheter. A new catheter should be used each time when using indwelling catheters.

Intermittent catheters do not require sterilization at all. The best way to clean them is with plain soap and water (avoiding soaps with perfumes or emollients) and then thoroughly air-drying for at least 24-48 hours before reuse.

Irrigation equipment can generally be cleaned well enough for home use by running it through a home dishwasher as long as you have not turned down your water heater temperature for safety, or if you home dishwasher has a heat booster to compensate for this. Be sure to take the bulb off the syringe, or separate piston syringes to do this.

Otherwise you can sometimes microwave some irrigation equipment similar to how you can microwave catheters if desired, but you must place full container of water in the microwave during this, and should test the equipment first or you may end up with a melted mass of rubber and plastic in the bottom of your microwave.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Irrigation equipment can generally be cleaned well enough for home use by running it through a home dishwasher as long as you have not turned down your water heater temperature for safety, or if you home dishwasher has a heat booster to compensate for this. Be sure to take the bulb off the syringe, or separate piston syringes to do this.

Otherwise you can sometimes microwave some irrigation equipment similar to how you can microwave catheters if desired, but you must place full container of water in the microwave during this, and should test the equipment first or you may end up with a melted mass of rubber and plastic in the bottom of your microwave.

(KLD)
    Bumping this up...

I am doing irrigation and "instillation" ( neosporin solution) with intermittent catheterization every other day. I guess I am living in the dark ages but I don't have a dishwasher. So, not an option for cleaning equipment, syringes , etc.

I do have a microwave but the idea of plastic and the microwave isn't appealing. ( reheating food in plastic seems to change texture of container)

Are there any good alternatives for cleaning syringes and plastic containers used for irrigation without using dishwasher?
    Thanks

You could try to get glass "Asepto" bulb syringes and boil them, but it is difficult to keep them sterile after use as they must be stored dry. Will your insurance not cover a 60 cc. catheter tipped disposable syringe for you?

Who put you on this regimen? I have not seen neosporin instillations used since the late 1970s. They were abandoned because not effective, and due to evidence that high pressures and not cathing often enough are much more significant factors in frequent UTIs in those doing intermittent cath.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You could try to get glass "Asepto" bulb syringes and boil them, but it is difficult to keep them sterile after use as they must be stored dry. Will your insurance not cover a 60 cc. catheter tipped disposable syringe for you?

Who put you on this regimen? I have not seen neosporin instillations used since the late 1970s. They were abandoned because not effective, and due to evidence that high pressures and not cathing often enough are much more significant factors in frequent UTIs in those doing intermittent cath.

(KLD)
    I guess I will try the microwave methods described in posts.

My urologist has been after me to do irrigation & instillation for quite a while. I am having a high frequency of UTI's @ 31 years post injury . The last 10 years or so have really spiked with infections. All my urodynamics are good. I will also be mindful of frequency of cathing. I do better at some times than others.

The urology nurse has pretty much issued an ultimatum that if they are going to treat me with antibiotics I have to do the irrigation. In the spirit of doing anything to try to avoid infections I have been doing the irrigation. I will see if there is a difference and consult w/ urologist if the procedure doesn't seem to help. I don't feel as though I have many options.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 04-20-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: ETA : thanks for recommendation on insurance I will look into that tomorrow.