Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelchair lift for car top carrier

I emailed the norwegian company about their arm that appears to pull the wheelchair into the back of a wagon or suv type vehicle. It was a very simple, does anyone at your company speak/read english, and if so can you tell me about this product. I received this response today:

Sorry John, I was about to forget this.

I believe it is the Robot 200 you mean. This is a quite advanced product and requires educated mechanics to install. It also requires a special programmer pendant for set up. As far as I know we have never sold one out of the country.
    It is manufactured by a company in Israel, by the way, called T.M.N. Devices Ltd.

Not too much info other than there are no global sales.
    JP

Good info. That allowed me to find them on Google:

http://www.tmn.co.il/Prod05_Robot_e.htm

(KLD)

I just had a friend forward this to me. I have a wagon, and I'm looking into getting it installed!

Its their canadian rep. I'm emailing them to see who installs it stateside
    http://www.kinomobility.com/profile....ction=2&page=2
    Last edited by KVP612; 02-02-2006 at 11:51 PM.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?
    I called Kino Mobility and am a bit disheartened, fear I lack the funds and fortitude to get the arm installed. But here’s what I learned:

Their number: 1-888-495-4455 (didn't work for me); (416) 635-5873; info@kinomobility.com . I spoke with Terry O’Neil, a super nice guy who will answer any questions you’ve got. The arm is manufactured in Israel: www.tmn.co.il should have an English version with more info/pictures

They are in Toronto and have the only technician for installing the arm in North America, though Drivemaster in NJ can service certain limited things. Owners typically go to Toronto yearly to have the arm reviewed and serviced. The warranty is enforced in Toronto; they use something called a teaching pendant, a handheld unit that programs the robot with your chair to make it work right. It records the specs of every movement to get the chair in and out of the car; it’s what you need to diagnose the problem if things go wrong and can fix it. It has to be done in Toronto.

The cost is US $15,000 for the arm, installation (takes 3 weeks), power hatch, backup systems (electric and manual).

It works with both rigid and folding chair, but for a rigid chair you need a hatchback sort of car. The deivce is very finicky so you can’t put anything else in your trunk or remove the chair manually. It does power the hatch open and closed.

If anyone swings all this I’d love to know how it goes.
    Last edited by singin_intherain; 02-14-2006 at 01:51 AM.

I also talked w/ Terry @ Kino. one note to add is that they also need your chair for the last week of installation.

I think I'm going to work on breaking my chair down and pulling it into the car
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

I've been using a Braun Chairtopper since 1982. I'm only on my second one despite living many years in Vermont and New Jersey where maintenance is higher. I also lived in Florida where my chairtopper never required maintenance.

There is Robot 2001 now available in the United States that retrieves and stores the wheelchair in the trunk of a car, SUV or minivan. It's now being provided by MobilityWorks which has 12 service locations in 7 states. The web page is http://www.mobilityworks.com/robot-2...-retrieval.php

I've been using a Braun Chairtopper for five years. It does make a lot of wind noise on the highway and it definitely impacts my gas mileage. It's also broken twice. The first time, a single connection on the circuit board rusted so badly that it broke (I use it in the rain). The second time, a spring broke. Repairing it was not that expensive, but it did take several days for the shop to get the part they needed.
    On the plus side, it's easy on the shoulders. That was one major reason I wanted it. It takes about the same amount of time to load/unload my folding chair with the Chairtopper as it takes me to load/unload my rigid chair. It frees up space in the passenger compartment, and people come from miles around to gawk at it.
    I'm pretty pleased with it so far, but I think I will get a better-fitting rigid chair before I get my next car, and I probably won't get a Chairtopper.

This is where i found some useful option for auto car lifts

Hopefully this be helpful to some one out there. I went with the Tilt n' Tote for my mom and we couldn't be happier