Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair lift for car top carrier

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?

Wheelchair lift for car top carrier

My despair at finding a wheelchair I reliably can load into the car is necessitating a paradigm shift. The therapist at the wheelchair clinic told me there are carriers that will scoop the chair up from outside the driver’s door and load it into a carrier on the roof. I haven’t found any on-line. Anyone have any advice, experience, other ideas? And ideas for funding such a thing?

Okay, found one. Any others? and still the other questions.
    http://www.braunlift.com/products/chairtop/chairtop.asp?m1=2
    Last edited by singin_intherain; 01-16-2006 at 12:26 AM.

This will only work with a folding wheelchair though...not a rigid frame, which is a lighter and more efficient wheelchair design.

(KLD)

I was thinking about that as I enjoyed the feel of the new airlyte pro. Any ideas for loading a rigid? Light as it was, I still couldn't get it across me in the front seat, or into the back seat without having something behind me to lean on.

Quote Originally Posted by singin_intherain
    I was thinking about that as I enjoyed the feel of the new airlyte pro. Any ideas for loading a rigid? Light as it was, I still couldn't get it across me in the front seat, or into the back seat without having something behind me to lean on.
    If you have a car like this you can load a rigid in with an automatic pilot into the room behind, Sorry, I can only find the page in Norwegian
    http://www.handicare.no/handicare/pa...t.aspx?id=3722

I know a few people who have it and I am going to try one myself. The only problem can be the cold in the winter but that is not your problem, I believe

I enjoy my airlite pro too
    Last edited by woman from Europe; 01-16-2006 at 06:33 PM.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Has anyone ever tried to get one of these in the USA? I have never seen one here...only in Europe.

(KLD)

This looks like a great product. I would love to hear if anyone has managed to get one over to the USA. I currently have a full size truck w/ the Bruno setup, but this would be a great option depending on how much space the arm takes up in the back.

JP

I'm not sure I understand. Does the arm fasten on the outside of the car by the gas cap, pick up the chair by the driver's door, and put it in the back of a hatch? but then how do you close the hatch? I too would be very interested in a site in English, or Spanish.

And how are these things (this and the car top) powered?

Top loader

I had the one that loads on top of the car, it looks like a Luggage rack. It has a motor that controls the arm that picks up the chair from the side of the car. I didn't like it at all because it had to much wind drag when driving down the highway (waste of gas). It's much easier to put the chair in the back seat. Do you have a 2 door or 4 door car? I have a 1993 and 1996 Ford T-bird (2 door) which make it real easy to put the chair in the back seat. I have tried to put a chair in the back seat of a 4 door vehicle and it is a pain in the ass. If you live in the North part of Country, it gets a little slipper in the winter time because of the rear wheel drive vehicle.
    My brother threw the top lift away.

singin-
    I know it's not the solution you are looking for, but have you looked into vehicles that have a suicide door setup? I know that the mazda rx8 has it and some of the older saturns do...I think that you can still get the Saturn Ion as a 3door with the suicide door....Not to mention a number of extended cab pick-up trucks(except my beloved dakota ) have that kind of door. I know that for me, this would make it a TON easier to load the chair into the car. as a matter of fact, i'm looking into the feasability of fabricating a suicide door into my '86 'Stang convertible that I'm restoring for just that purpose....

I wish I had some insight in exactly what you are looking for. I've seen the lifts you're looking at but i've only seen them with folding chairs also.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I think if you go to this link and click on what you want to look at you will see many different types of wheelchair carriers.
    These are in Australia, I don't know if they have any that are imported listed.
    It is worth having a look at anyway.
    Cheers

http://www.ilc.com.au/search.php?search=true