Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My SCI accident

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    Hi, Justin
    ... That day one of your CFI's employees was at my house setting up a firewall so I can work PT at home. My wife's SC was injured at St. Vincents during an op last June; rehab was at Providence Portland K5 center; we're near Newberg.
    - Richard
    I work there too. If it was Paulie, he hurt his tailbone (badly) a couple weeks later while snowboarding, taking the employee count down by 3.

Portland is a small small city - little connections between people are everywhere.

For instance. My mailman knew my roomate at RIO (and we found out about it). Also, a friend of mine was good friends with the family of yet another patient at RIO

-- JB

Quote Originally Posted by mom01
    what type of therapy have you received? What type of sci do you have?
    Mom
    All therapy has been stretching, gait, and strengthening excercises. Nothing spiffy like FES or treadmill. I can power the leg bikes with my quads, as long as I'm either wearing my AFOs or using a bike that has the center of the pedals under the heel rather than the ball of my foot, since I have absolutely nothing in the ankle department (yet. Cross fingers, hope hope hope hope).

I'm not sure yet what the technical designation of my injury is. I know that I had an L1 burst fracture, with a T-12 to L2 laminectomy. I think of myself as an L1 incomplete, but I really have similar function (by my very inexperienced guess) to an L4 injury, looking at the charts. I do have pretty good quad strength, and some incredibly small amount of hip flexors, hamstrings, and glutes.

No bowel and bladder

At home I have a home made standing frame (parallel bars with a padded knee block). I'm looking at things like a bowflex and a hand cycle.

-- JB