Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continued cord compression!

Continued cord compression!

Hi all,
    Thank you for being here and helping us with our many questions already! My friend just called me with really bad news about her son, Nick.
    You may remember he was injured the sat after Thanksgiving and had a "complete" SCI at C3-4. He had surgery at C3-4 the week after his SCI. The surgeon said it was all decompressed etc...
    Well, he is now at Kessler rehab and the dr there looked at his CT scan from Dec 6th. It showed continued compression at C3-4!!
    So now he is going to have surgery again probably on Monday at University hospital in Newark, NJ.
    First of all, I'm wondering if the treatment that requires surgery, (Bioaxone?), would be appropriate since it is still like an acute injury since there's been compression all this time.
    Also, how bad is this? I mean, we were hoping for a miracle, I know, but isn't it really bad that his spinal cord has been compressed for so long?
    And is this why he lost the pinprick sensation he had at the shoulders?
    I just didn't think it could get any worse, but sure enough it has.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much,
    Deb

Unfortunately this is all too common. Not all surgeons use the same standards regarding what "decompression" means. Late decompression is not necessarily bad...I have seen people get some return after late decompression much later than you describe, but of course early decompression is much preferred. I am sure Dr. Young can add some research data about this.

At least be thankful that he is now somewhere where they appear to really know what they are doing.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by debcays
    Hi all,
    Thank you for being here and helping us with our many questions already! My friend just called me with really bad news about her son, Nick.
    You may remember he was injured the sat after Thanksgiving and had a "complete" SCI at C3-4. He had surgery at C3-4 the week after his SCI. The surgeon said it was all decompressed etc...
    Well, he is now at Kessler rehab and the dr there looked at his CT scan from Dec 6th. It showed continued compression at C3-4!!
    So now he is going to have surgery again probably on Monday at University hospital in Newark, NJ.
    First of all, I'm wondering if the treatment that requires surgery, (Bioaxone?), would be appropriate since it is still like an acute injury since there's been compression all this time.
    Also, how bad is this? I mean, we were hoping for a miracle, I know, but isn't it really bad that his spinal cord has been compressed for so long?
    Thank you so much,
    Deb
    Deb, I am so glad that he is getting decompressed. Wise.

I am glad to hear it is not all bad as I am still not decompressed either and in fact haven't seen the NS yet even. I am not a complete injury but am a bit miffed at the lack of speed in my case. I loose more and more function each month I wait. In fairness the MRI results have only been in for two weeks to confirm the Neurologists suspicions but the injury is older so who know how long my cord has been compressed. Still noone seems too alarmed but my family sure is. Glad to know I am not doomed though as I was beginning to think.

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by debcays
    Thank you so much,
    Deb
    Deb,
    I think you've got to look at this as a potential step forward rather than a step back. His recovery should be much faster this time too. Ten years ago my son's SCI was decompressed a little more than six months after the accident and did get some return back. At that time it was thought that six months was the cut off date - I believe that today while time is important a specific cut off date is not thought to be as critical. Still, I don't believe that your son would be considered to have an acute injury since there are many chemical changes that have occurred.
    I also believe that my son's Neurosurgeon for the decompression was far superior to his Trauma Center Orthopedic Surgeon and that has contributed to the final result. I know that there are some very good surgeons at UMDNJ.
    Hang in there and good luck next week,
    Carl

Thank you for your responses!
    I need to step back and take a deep breath. I thought things would be much worse now because it's been compressed for so long, but now I feel a bit more hopeful.
    Hopefully things will go well next week.
    Thanks
    Deb

Deb...please give Tania and Nick our best....keep us posted on how he is doing. Shelly

You all are still in my prayers...

Teena

Thanks for the prayers. Nick is really scared about the surgery. This time he's awake for it not still out of it like last time.
    It's scheduled for today at 9 and is supposed to last around 6.5 hours. They are going in through the front and back of his neck and they are taking bone from his iliac to use.
    (I think his iliac!)
    So, I'll post after to let you know how it went!
    Talk to you later,
    Deb

Please know that we're all praying for Nick.
    Daniel