Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM anyone?

TM anyone?

Are there lots of people with Tranverse Myelitis on the board?
    Can any of you share your experiences with me please? (ongoing symptoms/diagnosis and amount of recovery)
    I don't know anybody else with it....

I know we have other members with TM. I hope they will respond here.

Meanwhile, you may want to make contact with this organization:

http://www.myelitis.org/

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha
    Can any of you share your experiences with me please? (ongoing symptoms/diagnosis and amount of recovery)
    Check your private topics Tabitha. I have a list of support groups around the world I just need a general location.

I do remember a visit to Dr Kerr and the question came up of "did your spinal infarct cause Tm or did TM cause your spinal infarct?" I have pretty much the same symptoms as mpost incomplete TMers.

Howlong have you had TM?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Check your private topics Tabitha. I have a list of support groups and just need a general location by state, province or country.

How long have you had TM and what was your original level of injury and have you had any recovery so far?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

How long have you had TM and what was your original level of injury and have you had any recovery so far?[/quote]

since October 2005, T1 and yes the level of senstaion and the weakness in my limbs has improved enabling me to walk short distances badly, I have a poor grip and trouble standing from a sitting position, bowel and bladder disfunction, some loss of sensation and tingling (worse on my right side, I am right handed)

Since 1985 at age 12 going on 13 .. now 33. T12 complete paralysis and in wheelchair ... 20 years .. absolutely no recovery, give or take an inch of feeling around the waistline.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

since October 2005, T1 and yes the level of senstaion and the weakness in my limbs has improved enabling me to walk short distances badly, I have a poor grip and trouble standing from a sitting position, bowel and bladder disfunction, some loss of sensation and tingling (worse on my right side, I am right handed)
    Is it possible to get 4-aminopyridine made up in the UK? I found it helped my sensation and really helped strength. That just a few months out your are up to working on standing is a good sign. If you cannot maintain physical therapy with a clinic than ask a PT to write up some exercises you can do at home for strength and range of motion. Are you on a drug for your bladder like oxybutynin or Detrol?

Tabitha Your Definatly Not Alone , In October Of 2005 I Was Diagnosed With Idiopathic Transverse Myelitis, MY RECOVERY IS FAIR TO GOOD, BUT I HAVE REALLY BAD DAYS. I STILL HAVE SOME NUMBNESS IN MY RIGHT LEG, MY RIGHT KNEE AND FOOT CHOOSE TO GO NUMB WHEN EVER THEY WANT TO AND THE MUSCLE SPASMS GET PRETTY BAD AT TIMES, AND VERY BAD BURNING IN MY LEGS. NIGHT SEEMS TO BE THE WORSE AND GETTING UP IN THE MORNING. I COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT MY NEUONTIN MED. MY BLADDER WORKS WHEN IT WANTS TO AND MY BOWEL MUSCLE STILL DOESN'T WANT TO WORK , MY SEX LIFE IS OVER I HAVE NO FEELING. ALL IN ALL IM NOT IN A WHEEL CHAIR, IM ABLE TO CAREFULLY WALK, IM ALIVE AND THE DEPRESSION IS GETTING BETTER. IM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES SOME OF YOU HAVE IT WORSE THAN ME . IF I DON'T END UP WITH MS ILL CONSIDER MYSELF MUCH LUCKIER. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU. OH P.S. IF YOU HEAR ANY INFO. ON BURNING SENSATIONS , HOT AND COLD SPOTS PLEASE POST INFO.
    Last edited by sherrie1964; 01-28-2006 at 03:55 AM.

I'm almost 13 years out because of a spinal infarct at T-6. I have extreme burning and pain from the level of my injury down. I use detrol to help with the bladder "works," and am a yo-yo as to bowel things. I feel no hot or cold in both legs, although my right leg is much more functional than my left. I'm on 2400 mg Neuronton, which has helped and am probably going to have a battery pack and electrodes implanted to see if that helps with the burning.
    I am so blessed to have the use of my hands and arms. I also have a great doctor that has really stayed with me through this. He said if I had one "good" leg and two good arms, I could walk. I can walk a bit in the house, but can't walk far or stand very long. I am so thankful that I can get meals for my husband and me, although they aren't as good as they used to be! So many things, you really need two hands. When you are leaning on a cabinet for stability, it is hard to pour from a pan, handle a skillet, etc.
    Just keep on trying, even though it seems like everything is so hard. Remember. you are still in there, it is just the workings that have changed.

Hi I have transverse mylitis for 4 years now. I am 41. i am left as a incomplete c-5 c-6 i was complete in the begining could not move anything from chest down. I also met with DR.KERR. I still do therapy to make myself as strong as i can be. I cant walk,but can move everything i do my standing frame everyday to keep bones strong.I am now waiting for a bike to build up some muscles in my leg. Everyone with TM is different. I also take 4-AP med helped me alot still getting return. If you have any questions PM me. anty
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness