Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some problems

Having some problems

Is it usual for a person with TM or Sci to have one side that is much weaker than the other?

Also anyone else find travelling in a car awkward? My legs flop around and my butt slides about in the seat, any solutions?

Also having a problem putting boots on especially and dressing takes me ages I could kind of use some tips.

Hey Tabitha .. try crossing your legs when in the car. That's how I drive .. provides more stability and the legs don't 'flop around.'

Can't help ya on the boots - haven't worn shoes in about 3 years because of pressure wounds - careful in the sizing of those boots!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hi Tabitha,

I use an old cardigan to tie my legs together when I'm in the car.( It doesn't leave marks on my legs)
    This keeps my legs from constantly moving, and means I don't have to be continually wondering what they are doing, and making grabs for them as they flop about!

your butt slides around in the seat? do you have leather/vinyl seats?

Do you wear a seatbelt? That would help minimize the sliding. Also a seat cushion would help too. As for my suggestion for the leg flopping, I replied in your other question thread where u asked this question also.

leather seats and yeas I wear a seatbelt....

These all sound like good suggestions. Having a good cushion should also help when in the car.

If you have access to a therapist, they are usually very knowledgable about new gadgets and equipment to help with those little things that improve ADL's.

I bet others on this site have some tips to help you out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha
    leather seats and yeas I wear a seatbelt....
    My elder sister has this problem. She's a size 1. Seatbelts and seats are based on fitting an average-build man, not women. She sits on a cushion that helps raise her up a little bit, plus keeps her from sliding around on her seats (leather too). She also spends alot of time in her car since she's a chef manager for several restaurants in the DC Metro area. She drives to reach restaurant for followups and can spend almost all day driving or stuck in traffic.

Here's one she has that she uses when she does a lot of driving.
    This one's her favorite for regular driving.

thanks everyone for the advice & Jadis I think I be investing in one of those seat cushions, they look they they should stop me slidding around...

she loves them...I know other companies make them, she's just addicted to Brookstone. She and my dad both

I also put a bunch of info in the other thread for ya.

I once bought a product called ArmorAll. It shines and protects just about any surface so I used it on my motorcycle. Well I used it on the seat too and that was a big mistake. I kept sliding back and almost off the seat. Danger Will Robinson, Danger.

Maybe there's a product on the market that would do just the opposite and keep you from sliding on the seat. Not pine tar (!) but something in that vein.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria