Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    I am T2 para, and drive a 2DR coupe. I was told that 2DR or vans are all that I'll ever be able to get in. I found a 4DR that I can get in and out of by myself, and plan to buy one in the future when we have a small family. Try all 2005 VW and AUDI. The door opens very very wide and you will be able to get in with no problem. I recommend to test the speed of the seat recline. Some of the electric ones are very slow, and can frustrate you after a while. I recommend manual seat, it is faster most of the time. That should make it faster to transfer your WC in the car.
    Try to learn to through your whole chair in the back seat all the time. I do that as my wife and I always ride together, and I hate for her to put my WC in the trunk. I promise it is so easy to do. When you get in the car, put both tires in the seat behind you first, and the frame sideways in the seat behind the passenger. Doing that will leave the passenger seat available all the time. One thing that I recommend for you to check is to ask someone to see if the WC can fit in the trunk when you are driving, if you plan to have 2 or 3 people in your car.
    The most important advice I can give you and to all sci people is: Try a right hand controls, they are very easy and you can rest both elbows when you are driving and turning. That helps a lot in keeping your balance and makes the turns a piece of cake. I tried both L and R side controls and I highly recommend the R. I invited a lot of sci people that meet at PT rehab to drive my car w/R hand controls, and all of them wouldn't even try! Oh yes, try the twist Motorcycle Grip Hand Controls, they are very cool!
    God Bless
    Ace
    Thanks, I didn't know hand controls were available in right hand or
    motorcycle grip. My girlfriend has a Ford Focus with manual seats
    and I agree, they are much faster. Good advice, Later.

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    I am T2 para, and drive a 2DR coupe. I was told that 2DR or vans are all that I'll ever be able to get in. I found a 4DR that I can get in and out of by myself, and plan to buy one in the future when we have a small family. Try all 2005 VW and AUDI. The door opens very very wide and you will be able to get in with no problem.Try to learn to through your whole chair in the back seat all the time. I do that as my wife and I always ride together, and I hate for her to put my WC in the trunk. I promise it is so easy to do. When you get in the car, put both tires in the seat behind you first, and the frame sideways in the seat behind the passenger. Ace
    any of the bigger 4 doois work great. i do like ace, i always put my frame on the back seat behind passenger seat.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I drive a 99 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4 door ext cab. It's the easiest vehicle I've ever gotten in and out of.

I use a folding chair "quickie 2hp". I just open the two doors and hop into the driver's seat. fold the chair and pull it in behind the drivers seat. close both doors and I'm on my way.

Here's a picture I took Christmas day after a 3 hour trip over salt covered roads.

I drive a 2003 Toyota Tundra ext. cab but it does have the suicide doors the swing out for me to put my chair in.

JJ

2003 Toyota Tundra, 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, 1975 International Scout II.

If you can dream it you can drive it buck. Good luck.

P.S. I'll post pics later today.

I'm a C-7 And I drive a 2004 grand carvan and 1987 SWB Chevy 4X4.

I'm a T3 incomplete and drive a Audi A4 1.8T. I just jump in, disassemble the chair and through it in the back seat. Takes me under a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton extended cab truck.
    I'm a T-12 incomplete and I just disassemble my chair and put in the back seat. It works out great because it's a 4 door and when the doors are open it gives me a lot of room to work with.

Great everybody, I am surprised to see so many trucks. When I first
    got hurt, my family sold my truck before I even got out of the ICU.
    When I woke up they said "you'll never be able to drive again and
    you damn sure can't get in the f'ing thing". I was pissed, but at the
    time I knew nothing about sci and adaptions for driving. I am seriously
    considering one of those magnum's, they look so roomy and I have
    a friend who works at a Dodge dealership. Thanks again folks.

Buck, you'd be surprised what can be done... lots of options out there. A little creativity is needed at times though.

Solan, A4s rock. I had an opportunity to drive a friend's pre-injury & loved it.