Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    I've given some thought to a minivan (for all the reasons Jeff mentions), but I'm just not ready for the parking hassles that come with the ramp yet.
    What about a lift that comes down out of the back? Then you don't have to worry about adequate space on the side to lower the ramp. Also, you could park in a standard spot if in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    ON LIKE A CHICKEN BONE.... cheating? do wat ya gotta do brotha...

YOU GOIN' DOWN......................................

Alrighty then! All you gotta say next is time and a place. LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Jesse, can you get yer self up into that Jeep or do you need a hand?

i get into it by myself, but its a bitch. its even more of a bitch loading my chair, its such a tight fit because my chairs dont recline, and the roll cage gets in the way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    What about a lift that comes down out of the back? Then you don't have to worry about adequate space on the side to lower the ramp. Also, you could park in a standard spot if in a pinch.
    there was a thread here a cpl. of weeks ago about that. IMO, i used the words ''death trap'' and ''sit'' firm on them because of how heavily populated my area is.

example... imagine pulling into the Wal-Mart zoo lot. you are by yourself, and let down the ramp... who's watching so that no one runs over the ramp? now, who's watching so that no one runs over you? here, no one will convert a van that way, too dangerous...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by EAK
    Alrighty then! All you gotta say next is time and a place. LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!
    this will be a classic... EAST vs. WEST... let's get it on!!!!!!!!!

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Jadis, look in the Equipment Forum, rear entry vans...

there was a thread here a cpl. of weeks ago about that. IMO, i used the words ''death trap'' and ''sit'' firm on them because of how heavily populated my area is.
    I read that thread with great interest. We don't have to repeat the debate here. I live in an urban area, soon to move to another urban area. I paralell park daily; rear ramp not an option. I am very intrigued by the XWAV Element--2005 only! 2006 Element is butt ugly. Don't hate the '05, I think it's cute. Preferably the model that has the passenger seat removed. Just not sure I want to shell out that kind of $$

I'm with Shaun, at some point soon I'll be trailering sailboats and I would love to have a place where I can change (when we have strong winds there's just NO way to keep dry).
    Also a good place for those dreaded times when you get an involuntary.

I do have a E350 7.6lt Diesel bus that'll carry six (6) wheelchairs and is very cumbersome to tranfer to the seat. I was looking for a picture on my laptop (my main PC is in the shop) and will have to wait.

In the meantime, ...yikes those cars are GOOD!, ...I drive a 1988 K-car.

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

example... imagine pulling into the Wal-Mart zoo lot. you are by yourself, and let down the ramp... who's watching so that no one runs over the ramp? now, who's watching so that no one runs over you? here, no one will convert a van that way, too dangerous...
    OK didn't know. I had thought about putting my chair in my van this way, but it didn't work out:
    -I would have to figure out how to get to the front of my van from the back. Now I have a walker that i can sit on and roll in, then I didn't.
    -Without the back seat in, I can't hide things behind the seat up against the tailgate. My primary thing to hide is my trauma kit. Cars are broken into for those things bc the theif thinks there are drugs in them.
    -There isn't adequate room in the back for two wheelchairs. When I arranged my seats in my van, I did so in such a way with the intention of Brent riding with me to places.
    -Lifting the chair into the back is about 6" higher than lifting into the side. Somedays the pain is so bad I can't push myself in the chair let alone lift the darn thing.

I am T2 para, and drive a 2DR coupe. I was told that 2DR or vans are all that I'll ever be able to get in. I found a 4DR that I can get in and out of by myself, and plan to buy one in the future when we have a small family. Try all 2005 VW and AUDI. The door opens very very wide and you will be able to get in with no problem. I recommend to test the speed of the seat recline. Some of the electric ones are very slow, and can frustrate you after a while. I recommend manual seat, it is faster most of the time. That should make it faster to transfer your WC in the car.
    Try to learn to through your whole chair in the back seat all the time. I do that as my wife and I always ride together, and I hate for her to put my WC in the trunk. I promise it is so easy to do. When you get in the car, put both tires in the seat behind you first, and the frame sideways in the seat behind the passenger. Doing that will leave the passenger seat available all the time. One thing that I recommend for you to check is to ask someone to see if the WC can fit in the trunk when you are driving, if you plan to have 2 or 3 people in your car.
    The most important advice I can give you and to all sci people is: Try a right hand controls, they are very easy and you can rest both elbows when you are driving and turning. That helps a lot in keeping your balance and makes the turns a piece of cake. I tried both L and R side controls and I highly recommend the R. I invited a lot of sci people that meet at PT rehab to drive my car w/R hand controls, and all of them wouldn't even try! Oh yes, try the twist Motorcycle Grip Hand Controls, they are very cool!
    God Bless
    Ace