Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you drive?

Yea, See 'em now Chris...thanks...

So when exactly do you attatch it to the chair? I realize you have to be outta the chair when its being lifted, lol...but do you attatch it, then transfer, then lift it? or transfer, then attatch it, then lift it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    That's cool man, you must be in pretty darn good shape if you can haul yourself up into a Cruiser. Got any pics? I'm curious how you manage this..
    Ill see if i can get a picture. The Land Cruiser is a great car that is very comfortable, reliable and safe. Its not too hard to get into. I do have to hook my chair to the Cruiser so that it wont roll away which basically is a hook I made out of welding rod that I just drop between my handrims and wheels. Its attached to my car seat base with basically shoe lace. But to get in, I lift my right foot in first, then left, then with my right hand on the drivers seat and my left hand in the Y where the door and car meet (right above the top door hinge) I lift myself onto my right wheel then forward and up into the seat. If my feet slip and my legs straighten I have to go back down to the wheelchair but if my legs bend its actually pretty easy to swing myself in and its not bad on my shoulders because I am not pulling myself in Im pushing into the car. My feet slip maybe 1-20 times. Then I reach down and pull off my right wheel and lift it in and onto the back seat. Then I lift my wheelchair with the left wheel attached onto my lap, take the left wheel off and put it in the back then either put my frame in the back or in the pax seat.

Opposite to get out. Its easy.

BC

jayday - transfer, then attach (I've seen a variety of methods), then hoist. I've got it down to where both the seat and swingarm/lift, done simultaneously, can have everything loaded in about 2 minutes. Not nearly as fast as some, like my van, but hey, its a tradeoff. If you want a truck and you're C6/7 like me then this was the way to go.

jay - in summary: (Tundra) I roll up to it and unlock with key fob. Open doors. Unlock driver seat/chair (I typically leave it a hair askew and unlocked. Doesn't drain the battery when unlocked) and swivel out to 90 degree angle (fully locked). Grab remotes which are on the seat. One remote to lower seat, the other to swing arm/hoist out/around. I lower the seat to transfer height and transfer while swinging arm/hoist out/around. Once transferred then grab cushion on to lap. Then lower strap hoist (T-bar) to reaching distance. Clamp T-bar (bungee slider) on frame of wc. Unlock wc brakes and push chair away (making sure of clamp security beforehand ). Grab both remotes again and raise driver's seat and wind up hoist strap (can be tricky in wind). Once high enough to clear bed then swing wc into truck bed and lower (pressure of swingarm holds chair firmly in all settings - even off-road). By now driver's seat is fully raised with me in it. I then place wc cushion on rear seat behind me. Unlock swivel. Swing legs under steering wheel and position. Grab seatbelt and connect. Reach back and close third door. Reach forward/out to grab (this is why seatbelt first is important) cab door and then..vrooomm

In the beginning is about 3-4 minutes. Then you learn little shortcuts and tricks unique to your ability and your set-up. In my case if the chair and swingarm were mechanically faster I could probably do it in less than a minute (alot quicker than writing/editing this damn post lol). The transfer and wc secure method are quick. Its the up/down of driver's chair and in/out of swingarm that are slowww.

Overall, just "git her done" 'eh like Larry the cable guy...
    Last edited by Chris Chappell; 01-23-2006 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    Ill see if i can get a picture. The Land Cruiser is a great car that is very comfortable, reliable and safe. Its not too hard to get into.
    A photo would be great BC, thanks. I'm just a little curious about the transfer height. I agree about the Cruiser being a great vehicle; I know a few folks who own them. Pre-SCI I had a few opportunities to drive both an FJ40 & a FZJ80... neither of which were mine, but that's besides the point.

Have you seen the new FJ Cruiser that Toyota just released? It's interesting to say the least... and actually (Chris, etc), I could see the Bruno Turny working pretty well with the vehicle. I'm curious to see one up close, but they haven't hit the lots yet. Plus, I'll put money on the aftermarket folks having fun with this one... it's actually not all that expensive either (< $30k).

Last edited by -scott-; 01-24-2006 at 12:21 AM.

I was going to make an offer.. It's on e-bay right now...
    I'm J/J, I would never drive something as stupid as this around. -Ed-

I have a '92 Mercedes 300E Sedan with the standard hand control. Down for gas and push to break.

It's taken a beating with the chair coming in and out all the time; especially if I'm in a hurry or just generally pissed off.

I got a lighter chair if it's even possible so it has happened being more careful when bringing it in and out of the car.

It's an old car and about to breakdown so I'm not really that careful.

My wife has a Volvo XC90. Volvo reimbursed us for installing the hand-control. I wouldn't recommend a SUV though. It's ok if you drive it once in awhile but long term could kill your shoulders.

Lots of makers reimburse up to $1000 for installing hand controls but then it usually has to be a new car.

I would get a used car unless you are a patient person and take your time with things. I'm 3.5 years post and still haven't learned to take my time getting in and out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by walkanotherday
    I have a '92 Mercedes 300E Sedan with the standard hand control. Down for gas and push to break.

It's taken a beating with the chair coming in and out all the time; especially if I'm in a hurry or just generally pissed off.

I got a lighter chair if it's even possible so it has happened being more careful when bringing it in and out of the car.

It's an old car and about to breakdown so I'm not really that careful.

My wife has a Volvo XC90. Volvo reimbursed us for installing the hand-control. I wouldn't recommend a SUV though. It's ok if you drive it once in awhile but long term could kill your shoulders.

Lots of makers reimburse up to $1000 for installing hand controls but then it usually has to be a new car.

I would get a used car unless you are a patient person and take your time with things. I'm 3.5 years post and still haven't learned to take my time getting in and out of the car.
    good point on the chair/vehicle injury issue - on most cars, my chairs will scratch the rocker panel (so I use a towel as a temp cover), and my truck has a few minor dings around the door (after 3yrs of weekly use)... still beats messing w/a lift, if you have a choice - but the F150 4x4 is a bit tough on my shoulders. I can only get in/out about 4x a day before it starts to take a toll/get tiresome... guess I'm getting old
    rob

You are talking about the dings in the car but what does it do to the chair? Do people find their chairs get dinged pretty good?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rty
    You are talking about the dings in the car but what does it do to the chair? Do people find their chairs get dinged pretty good?
    oh yah, i ding the shit out of my car. its all on the inside of the door jam so you cant see it when door is shut. i dont really care about the chair, by 1.5 years its new chair time anyway. but yes i beat my chair hard getting it in and out, i suppose i could be more delicate w/ it but why bother.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rty
    titanium chair. seems almost indestructible
    rob