Thread: Iowa Co. Buys Stem Cell Robot Machine

Iowa Co. Buys Stem Cell Robot Machine

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nation...orld-headlines

Steven, seams like Kamath agrees with you

By Associated Press

January 9, 2006, 8:52 PM EST

CORALVILLE, Iowa -- An eastern Iowa company has acquired a robotic machine designed to isolate stem cells from ubilical cord blood or adult blood that scientists said will provide endless research opportunities.

Cellular Engineering Technologies Inc. bought the $50,000 Robosep machines on Dec. 29 and ran initial tests the same day.

>
    Company officials said the machine advances scientific research by using two high-powered magnets on opposite ends to bind CD34 stem cells with an antibody.

The machine then separates the cell from its originating blood, isolating any immunological cell from either umbilical cord blood or adult blood. The goal is that, once treated, the stem cells can be reintroduced to a body to repair damaged areas.

"The possibilities for tissue engineering and tissue development are endless," said Anant M. Kamath, the company's chief operating officer.

Once isolated, the stem cells are treated with different growth factors, grown in an incubator and then evaluated for their response. The results can be used to better understand pharmaceutical drugs or genes' effects on cell functions, he said.

"We are attempting to see if we can rebuild cells after they've been damaged," Kamath said. "When treated with the right growth 'cocktail,' the cells can be differentiated into many kinds of cells -- immunological, skin, cardiac."

In studies involving mice, researchers have seen artificial injuries reversed, Kamath said.

"But there is a leap between mice and humans. It is still in a very experimental stage on humans," he said.

The robot can do four simultaneous operations, which drastically increases productivity, Kamath said.

He said such research does not receive funding from the state. CET also does not conduct embryonic stem cell research, which is banned in Iowa.

"It's not necessary anymore," Kamath said.

He said the company wants to show that high technology for stem cells can be found in Iowa.

CET, founded in 2000 by its president and chief executive officer, Dr. Alan Moy, operated through the University of Iowa until July 2005. It then became an independent company and moved to Coralville.

companys are starting to make money on stem cells. excellent news.

Making money = making progress, I guess that's how everything works.

Cell sorting machines are standard equipment in laboratories dealing with umbilical cord and bone marrow stem cells, as well as regular blood and other cells that grow in suspension. Prices of the machines range all the way from $50,000 to $500,000. The more sophisticated ones use several lasers to detect markers on the cells and mechanical devices that nudge cells into different channels for collection. Others, apparently this one, use powerful magnets to separate cells that have magnetic beads coated with antibodies that attach specific cell markers.

Wise.

good old iowa. those were the days, huh, wise? maybe you could move back and start a research facility there heh heh. where the heck is coralville anyhow? is it as big as my hometown of woodward? which, btw, got struck by a tornado late november and was videotaped within 2 houses of my family home it went right up my street and took out all the houses on my side, then veered off 2 houses from mine; all the windows on that side broke, the roof had damage, everything in back yard was gone and a hole left. sure glad i don't live there any more....but....

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    good old iowa. those were the days, huh, wise? maybe you could move back and start a research facility there heh heh. where the heck is coralville anyhow? is it as big as my hometown of woodward? which, btw, got struck by a tornado late november and was videotaped within 2 houses of my family home it went right up my street and took out all the houses on my side, then veered off 2 houses from mine; all the windows on that side broke, the roof had damage, everything in back yard was gone and a hole left. sure glad i don't live there any more....but....
    cass, my remembrance of Coralville is a little strip mall outside of Iowa City on the way to Oakdale (the farm where the neurobiology division was situated, where the pigs would leave their snot on the front door). The road keeps going to Cedar Rapids where the airport was located. If you hae ever gone by airplane to Cedar Rapids and come into Iowa City, you would have driven through Coralville. When I was there in the early 1970's, there was one Chinese restaurant in Iowa City and it was in Coralville. There was also a strip dance club off the road in Coralville. Now, we know that there is a company called CET.

Wise.

what? YOU KNEW about the strip place?? the shame...

btw, charming remembrance of coralville! sounds more like ISU!

i have only flown commercially into d.m. but flew myself in two place plane to perry, cedar falls, etc. on my way to oshkosh by gosh.
    Last edited by cass; 01-11-2006 at 12:58 AM.