Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: handcycle transfer video

Hello to you all ,

I'll post some pics soon. Just need to dig them out and publish them on my ftp
    When the spring comes I can also take some filmings of how to get on and off the bike
    I was really lucky to read about that on another SCI forum, which some of you surely are aware of: www.newmobility.com

In the mean time I'd suggest to change your tires. You're cycling on nice roads, aren't you? So why are those wide knobby tires just to stop you more by their friction.

Also I see that your seat is really soft and confortable one....well I think this is also something to be changed, unless of course you don't prfer to feel like riding a RollsRoyce

My seat is really hard one and my back also is really narrow and hard.
    This improves your pushing, as the base you push your back towards doesn't take away from your power.

Well these are the advices I can think of right now.
    I'm also far from being a pro cyclist but I've my background as a road cyclist before my accident.

Ok have a good night.
    Catch you soon

I can see/here them fine on my powerbook.

Blog Entries
    I ride on roads that vary from new to really rough. I also have to go through glass, trash, and alligators(shredded big truck, tires) so this not only gets me above hazards that would otherwise stick, but makes for a cushy ride.
    Since I am doing it for exercise and training to maybe be in a few races someday, I LIKE the added rolling/wind resistance. So when I do race and put on my squirrely tires, I have an added advantage. I have one for the front also, just gotta change it.
    I ride in gravel in some places that slings up on my back with other tires, they are too small to catch in my knobbies.
    I'm a t-4 complete with total loss of muscle mass below injury. I have to have all the padding I can get, matter of fact, I changed the foam in my back and put a cut-out to go over my hardware. Stopped a lot of the pain it WAS causing.
    The seat cushion is my roho, which is too long. I am lookin to get a varilite that is a lot shorter someday. Gotta make do til then.

Had another 60 degree day here today but 20 mph winds. I got to ride but BOY that wind makes ya slow,lol. Was a real workout.But I don't care as long as it's WARM!

Get those pics up!
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 01-11-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    I can see/hear them fine on my powerbook.
    Yes, avi is a multi-platform filetype. I just converted them to a couple of others to help a few, figured it might be a default type for some of the windows machines. Lot's of folks don't know how to change from their default player to another.
    Wish someone woulda shown me how to transfer the first time, lol. It was tough!

Hey Capn,

Finally saw your vid after monkeying around with a couple of avi programs. Wow you make that look easy. I'm a walkie, but because I have so much spasticity I have a hell of a time getting on and off a bike. Cannot do it independently to save my life. There was an earlier suggestion about re-attaching the back rest with a bracket that would allow it to lay flat. When I get a bike, I think that's gonna be my answer-- need a deeper/longer space for swinging my legs around.

One point of clarification-- what were you doing with the bungee cord in the begining. Had trouble with the audio, so maybe I missed it. Anyway, thanks for posting it!

Nicki

Hey Capn,

Second link did the trick for me and was able to view. great transfer... I have been eyeing handcycles for a while and transfer is the deal braker on getting a high rider like Quickie Mach 2 or something low like XLT...

this is helpful. Thanks,
    Ches

Quote Originally Posted by vl_gyurov
    Also I see that your seat is really soft and confortable one....well I think this is also something to be changed, unless of course you don't prfer to feel like riding a RollsRoyce

My seat is really hard one and my back also is really narrow and hard.
    This improves your pushing, as the base you push your back towards doesn't take away from your power.
    Why would you want a hard seat? How long are you in your bike when you ride? I want my seat nice and comfy so I don't get a pressure sore. Pressure sore=no bike riding until healed.

I was thinking of seeing if my chair cushion will fit on my bike versus the the thin foam padded seat that makes my butt turn red from sitting on it.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

awesome cap. great vids
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    Hey Capn,
    There was an earlier suggestion about re-attaching the back rest with a bracket that would allow it to lay flat. When I get a bike, I think that's gonna be my answer-- need a deeper/longer space for swinging my legs around.

One point of clarification-- what were you doing with the bungee cord in the begining. Had trouble with the audio, so maybe I missed it. Anyway, thanks for posting it!

Nicki
    The bungee is used to hold both brake levers so the bike doesn't move when transferring, works like a charm. I leave it at home, when I stop on a hill for pictures, I stick a waterbottle under the frontwheel, or back.
    I was careless about cleaning the NALGENE bag from the oj/water mix 3 different times. I was sick 20 miles from home and had to get back regardless, not a good thAng,lol. So until summer, it's on the shelf. Then I'll bleach and water it religiously after use!

As far as the transfers, this is one of the main reasons I'm trying to come up with a different frame for quads. I have been looking at the remove/extend front end side of the equation for a while now.
    A second line of thought is a seat that pivots UP and down to chair level.
    All these have to be done with a minimum of weight addition AND I want it quad friendly for those with no hand use. I'm aggravated that big industry hasn't accmplished this yet. I think I have it wh00ped. When we get moved come May, we'll have room for all the tools and space to do it in.
    Another angle of attack is a transfer seat that rises up and down that you sit between the bike and you. Downside here is an extra piece of equipment to store/ drag out every time. But it is the EASIEST solution.

The big problem with the pivot seat is I still want it to be adjustable fore n aft and seatback angle adjustable also. One thing I am POSITIVE about, if it isn't adjustable, I wouldn't own it. Some days are made easier by changing seat or crankspacing and it's best to be able to do it on the fly.

If I get the quality I desire, I'll make them myself and not sell the patent. My frames won't cost a spastic arm or a leg
    I have been the route of greedy wc manufacturers when I was first injured. Had a 'company' willing to produce what I wanted to design and a handful of salesmen to push it. Even a hangar full of machine tools and financial backing. But they wanted to mass market and sell like the bigwigs at high dollar prices. I walked away.

Sorta got to talking, I'll hush. I'm bad for that,lol.

Blog Entries
    Toss that cushion in there ALY, mine is too long by about 6-8 inches but it keeps the ol hiney red spot free. At one time I had put a removable solid pan on it to better support the roho, but I removed it cause the higher your CG gets, the tippier that XLT is. They are just too high from the ground. If they didn't have those f0nky camber inserts that ya have to make a frame jig to adjust accurately, I'd make an axle drop plate and pick up about 3-4 inches.
    I've been seriously thinking about making some clamp on's and just threading the axle in straight-no camber. If ya pick up a few inches like that, it would more than make up for the camber loss. We'll see shortly. I'm fabbing some tooling for my lathe so I can make faster cuts. When I get it all sorted, I might try it first.
    BTW, did you ever rig something to tow your hc with? I tossed a few cheap n easy ideas your way, don't know if ya saw them.

Hey Fuente, have you ever got to ride a hc and if so, did ya like it?