Thread: Triggering a spasm

Triggering a spasm

Does it mean anything if one is able to trigger a spasm?

My friend says that she can make her fingers spasm. She's showed me, and she's able to sort of make them twitch. How do you know if this is really a spasm or actual voluntary movement?

She's C4 complete, 7 months post, no movement or sensation below her biceps.

I know there are those here that do it. you'd probably be better off asking in the care forum since it gets more traffic and the SCI nurses are more likely to respond there.

Quote Originally Posted by bellarosa
    Does it mean anything if one is able to trigger a spasm?

My friend says that she can make her fingers spasm. She's showed me, and she's able to sort of make them twitch. How do you know if this is really a spasm or actual voluntary movement?

She's C4 complete, 7 months post, no movement or sensation below her biceps.
    Bellarosa,

Spasms are generally involuntary or reflexive. It means that the circuitry in the spinal cord controlling the fingers are intact and working. It does not necessarily mean that it is voluntary or under the control of the brain. However, occasionally, if it has not happened before and then starts to happen, it may mean the return of some function.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Bellarosa,

Spasms are generally involuntary or reflexive. It means that the circuitry in the spinal cord controlling the fingers are intact and working. It does not necessarily mean that it is voluntary or under the control of the brain. However, occasionally, if it has not happened before and then starts to happen, it may mean the return of some function.

Wise.
    Thanks, Wise.

I guess what I wanted to know was how to tell the difference between a spasm and voluntary movement. If she's sitting there trying to move her finger and it twitches, how do we know if she did it or not? Up until a couple weeks ago, she wasn't able to do anything like that.

Being able to repeat it upon command is usually the way of testing for voluntary vs. spasm movement. It can be tricky though, as many people unconsciously learn a way to trigger their spasms.

(KLD)

ive always heard it refered to as overflow. i can do it darn near at will. in my legs i mean. i really couldnt tell u how i do it, but i do it. lol
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Being able to repeat it upon command is usually the way of testing for voluntary vs. spasm movement. It can be tricky though, as many people unconsciously learn a way to trigger their spasms.

(KLD)
    What if it started out as one finger and now she can do several (all but her pinky)?

I can't voluntaily evoke spasms, but I can positionally evoke clonus tremor- an ability thats rather common, I'm told.

David
    A Conservative government is an organised hypocrisy.
    Benjamin Disraeli

My right foot clonus rocks............I always feel like I should have a banjo or some spoons to play when it starts
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."