Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Sore??

Pressure Sore??

has anyone had a pressure sore on the bottom of your heel of your feet?? and if so what treatments do you use to cure yours??

this morning my mother found pressure sores on each of my feet on the bottom of the heels they are just now very big blisters i am going to the doctor in the morning, i am very scared and a nervous reck 1st time ive ever had any problems like this

i had the same thing a few years ago. it will go way with time, it took about a month for mine to go away. make sure you keep pressure off of it, and dont break it.

Pressure sores. One of the bitches of SCI. They leave permanent scars.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer_quadchick05
    has anyone had a pressure sore on the bottom of your heel of your feet?? and if so what treatments do you use to cure yours??

this morning my mother found pressure sores on each of my feet on the bottom of the heels they are just now very big blisters i am going to the doctor in the morning, i am very scared and a nervous reck 1st time ive ever had any problems like this
    Not quite sores but they did get rather redder than normal after I changed powerchairs the first time. Follow what your doc says to do. Make sure you also ask him for a referrel to see a PT if you need referrels or call and make an appointment yourself. Let your doctor know you are doing this. Often heel sores can be from having a bad measurement from back of knee to footrest or from wearing higher heeled shoes than when first meausred. I think as gals we tend to forget that sneakers do have heels also.

I found out I was wearing higher heeled high tops when my knees went right into the table apron on our diningroom table. Man, tablecoths can be killers.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 01-08-2006 at 08:53 PM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Mine get red sometimes if my feet aren't sitting in my shoes properly. I check them every night. If they get red and it hasn't cleared up by morning, I switch to a loser pair of shoes for a day or so.

Just make sure you catch such problems early so that clearing them up is easy.

Ken

jennifer i just got over a sore on 1 of my heels while i was at a rehab. Ikept the heels off anything do not put pressure on them. put pillows under your calfs to keep the heel of your foot of touching the bed.MY HEEL cleared up after 1 month. i put vaseline on my heel to keep it smooth. when i would sit in my chair i would keep the heel from leaning on the foot rest. i hope you heal quick anty
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

You should probably check in with an OT or PT about the foot plates of your wheelchair. From the placement of the sores, this is a likely cause.

RAB

That's what I thought as well SCI Nurse ...

If there's another tidbit of advice I could ever give ... wear shoes. Wear well fitting shoes.

Don't go around barefoot on your footplates ... I did this for many years (still doing it) and feel this is partially where I went wrong with my never-healing sores. I'm a pyjama lovin' fool. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer_quadchick05

jennifer, if you are not doing so already, you should take immediate steps to make sure that your feet are well protected and cushioned so that you are not placing any pressure on the pressure sores. Although this is common sense, getting all pressure off the sores is the only way that they will heal. It also helps to elevate your feet as much as possible so that you minimize swelling in your feet.

1. See a doctor and see if you can get footwear made from plastozote foam. This is often used to treat diabetic feet (people with diabetes frequently get sores on their feet) and should be widely available (see http://www.foot.com/info/cond_diabetic_foot.jsp).

2. Keep your feet clean. Wash them daily in warm water. I generally recommend that people use some Epsom salt in the water. This helps reduce the chances of infection. Make sure that people who are touching your feet wash their hands. An infection of the sore is bad.

3. Elevate your feet. Whenever you are in one place for any length of time, see if you can prop your leg up (without putting any pressure on the sores) onto top of a cushion. I recommend just putting a sheepskin on top of the cushion.

4. Eat a high protein diet and please do not smoke. The protein should help accelerate healing and not smoking should improve circulation to the skin.

The SCI-Nurses may want to recommend ways of dressing the sore.

Wise.

If the blisters are still intact, DO NOOT POP them or use any instrument like a pin to break them. They will likely break on their own or reabsorb.

Protect them with a soft gauze dressing and keep all pressure off.

If the blisters have broken and the underlying skin appears clean ( is beefy red with no yellow/black or thick drainage), you can wash them daily with saline, apply a moisture based product such as petroleum gauze, calcicare
    and again cover them with dry clean gauze. change the dressing daily.

Keeping the sores clean and the pressure off are critical.

If you develop fever, pus drainage or increased redness around the sore, you should see a doctor immediately.

AAD
    AAD