View Poll Results: SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support both ESCR & ASCR

109 93.97%
  • I support only ASCR

7 6.03%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

Angry

They already know how to fix us but the big drug companies will loose out.

Ok Jadis. Actually it has not so much to do whit what I like. It has to do with what we do as a group. If we want to construct something we have to be in the construction project. And how fast we are moving into the commissioning phase of the project depends among other factors on the “man hours” we put into it. Thanks for your views on the subject. Leif

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Even multiplication of ASC's is difficult, so definitely if transdifferentiation were possible, it would be to a limited extend, and of little value in the near future.
    Expansion of ASCs is becoming less and less of a problem.

Well now dedifferentiation to obtain ESC's is still theoretical.
    Possibly, possibly not. Proof-of-principle has been established with the proof of transdifferentiation. Some labs are claiming they have culture media to generate "embryonic-like" stem cells that are functionally equivalent to ESCs.

It all boils down to you favoring transdifferentiation of ASC's (which needs many more years to become useful), or the dedifferentiation of ACS's which is only theoretically possible over the use of ESC's that are readily available.
    I do favor transdifferentition. You will never hear me say otherwise. However, my favortism is primarily due to what I believe to be the best option under the political conditions we face today.

Though I appreciate the focus on SCI you bring in your Wired News commentaries, you cannot deny you have a bias away from ESC, just like I will admit my bias is towards ESC, because I already have ASC's stored for Jason that are of such limited use that I choose to keep them frozen.
    A slight technicality: Working on a way to allow ESC research to continue generally shouldn't be considered "an aversion" to ESC.

My bias is toward what I believe will bring a cure first; nothing more.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    My bias is toward what I believe will bring a cure first; nothing more.
    Steven - If that is the best approach in your country you should do just that. I agree, but as I say if it is the best approach. I have not enough knowledge about the political situation in your country to argue too much on this one. But it seams like others have objections. Maybe that is or could be a problem as well – to not agree upon a uniform approach?

Leif, others do have objections to what I am doing. However, I don't think those who object trust me when I say that I will never use my column to speak against ESCs. I believe that lack of trust is the basis of their objections.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I voted and I support both as well.

Steven. It is difficult to agree 100% with everything in an article regardless who the writer is, but as long as it is towards a common goal we should be happy and encourage just that. Anyone has the opportunities to write pieces or to have somebody to write it for them... I even trust you inside and ESCR lab – now how about that.

I too am all for both - Whatever brings forward the cure. However misleading articles such as below are doing no-one any favours implying that

a) ESCR Isnt required as ASCR holds all answers and
    b) ASCR is adequate as it stands with no need for advancements - HECK IT SEEMS HERE TO BE CURING ANYTHING THAT COMES ITS WAY!

What makes this even worse is that it is written by a recipient of Adult Stem Cells - Thats fine, it shone through for her but won't be anywhere near sufficient for other scenarios. grrrrrrr WALKING WITH BRACES IS NOT TANTAMOUNT TO A CURE!

Im not saying ASCR won't hold the key but this is exactly why research must commence on BOTH fronts

Monday January 9, 2006 Adult stem cells work

I'd like to know why the media doesn't print the many successes that come from adult stem-cell research.
    Examples: Dennis Turner, remission from Parkinson's for four years; Richard Lane, diabetes halted; Deborah Catlun, sight restored; Laura Dominquez, paralyzed but now walks with the help of braces; and me, multiple myeloma cancer survivor. (Source: AP wire stories.)
    When I mention my stem-cell transplant form my own adult stem cells, people are confused. They are unaware of adult stem-cell research because all they hear about is embryonic stem-cell research or stem-cell research. Reporters need to use the correct names.
    People also make caustic comments on how President Bush is against stem- cell research, which is bogus. He is for adult stem-cell research, which has more than 300,000 successes. His administration is the only one to donate financially to adult stem-cell research.
    Why does Congress want to use our tax dollars for embryonic research instead of adult stem cell research, which works?
    The most progress is being made in adult and blood-cord stem cells.
    Carol Franz

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...601090307/1005

I wish there were a pill to cause a temporary SCI (for around a week), then I would put one of them in a drink of all the people that are against ESC research (but don't tell them SCI is temporary), and then I would be curious to see how many of them change their mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Steven - If that is the best approach in your country you should do just that. I agree, but as I say if it is the best approach. I have not enough knowledge about the political situation in your country to argue too much on this one. But it seams like others have objections. Maybe that is or could be a problem as well – to not agree upon a uniform approach?
    Leif, staying away from ESCR is NOT the best approach in my USA. There is only one man standing in the way of government funding of ESCR: George Bush.

The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act will be passed by the Senate in the next few weeks ( it has already passed the House), however the president has vowed to veto the bill.

We are hopeful that Iraq Veterans for Cures' tv ad pleading with Bush NOT to veto the bill might sway him.

One man holding up the research.

Steven, I am not worried you will write against ESC, since I already have an article where you applied to the Stem Cell Hub

But your emphasis on clinical trials only without the need for further ESCR is misleading just the same.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl