View Poll Results: SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support both ESCR & ASCR

109 93.97%
  • I support only ASCR

7 6.03%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

Can we out the 2 who oppose? ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Leif, the ESC debate will come to an end soon. You have an awful lot of energy.

There will be a lag between the time the debate ends and a cure is available. Have you given any thought to where you will spend your energy then?
    Energy just transforms into something else, I’m in the energy business… No, to be serious here Steven. How can you rule out ESCs before the research has started? Why do so many American States and researchers want this research? Why is there a uniform request from all the scientists, researchers, doctors and patient organisations here in my country to perform research on embryonic stem cells? Do you know something they don’t? Hmmm. You have a lot of explanations to do here Steven, what will you tell them so that they will be confident that the ESC debate is not necessary? Please give me the answer (specify please) and I will forward it to researchers here and ask what they think. Thanks, Leif

I support any research that will get me much return back if not all. Even if just to be labeled as a paraplegic instead of quadriplegic I would be satisfied. My life would be much more improved. So come on politicians and scientists!

Leif, I am not ruling out ESCs at all. (I didn't vote.)

I believe ESC research will become accepted in time. Ask your scientists about the possibility of transdifferentiation and see what they say.

In the meantime, would you mind answering my question?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I believe ESC research will become accepted in time. Ask your scientists about the possibility of transdifferentiation and see what they say.
    From what I hear from scientists is that if the capacity for transdifferentiation exists at all, it exists to a very limited extend.

Plus, Steven you are forgetting the many other areas we need ESCR and in particular SCNT for. Here are just a few other reasons:

1. to learn more about ASC's
    2. to develop and test drugs without sacrificing countless people suffering fatal adverse reactions
    3. to learn what triggers a disease to develop so we can find ways to intervene in the desease process

I agree with Mr.Soul, that like abortion, ESCR will remain controversial for a small segment of the population.
    Just like bloodtransfusions are banned by certain religions too.

The question is how much do we let the view of the minority interfer with what is good for humanity.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    From what I hear from scientists is that if the capacity for transdifferentiation exists at all, it exists to a very limited extend.
    Any specifics? Science has proven that transdifferentiation is possible. I will be happy to speak with any scientist you choose about transdifferentiation.

Plus, Steven you are forgetting the many other areas we need ESCR and in particular SCNT for. Here are just a few other reasons:
    Tell me, if transdifferentiation (particularly dedifferentiation to obtain ESCs) can be achieved, which items in your list would require SCNT?

The question is how much do we let the view of the minority interfer with what is good for humanity.
    I'm sure those who oppose PETA and gun laws ask themselves the same questions.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I voted. I support both. I also believe that I will not see a cure in my lifetime, and even if I do, it won't benefit me. We've been hearing the "near future" crap for years, and I just don't forsee it happening in my lifetime.

In the meantime, would you mind answering my question?
    I know you are not ruling out ESCs.

I’ll check what scientists here have to say about transdifferentiation, I’ll report back to this board when I have got an answer. Don’t know when but I’ll get an answer.

Answering your question; we are not there yet - Or do you have any suggestion?

Jadis, Thanks. But this thread don’t say anything about near future crap, it discusses how fast we can have the crap here. There is a difference in that. And if it will not be here in my lifetime as well, then so be it.
    Last edited by Leif; 01-09-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Point taken, Leif, but after coming to this forum and seeing other SCIs say they will support whatever will get them resuls, the "what has changed since your SCI" thread comes to mind. I see that the same things that have been said since my injury has also been said since the 70s-80s and not much has changed. My point is, I support the research, but I honestly don't think that I will see a cure in my lifetime. Whether you like it or not FUTURE applies to how FAST we can have the crap here. Even if it's next week, that's still in the future.

Any specifics? Science has proven that transdifferentiation is possible. I will be happy to speak with any scientist you choose about transdifferentiation.
    Even multiplication of ASC's is difficult, so definitely if transdifferentiation were possible, it would be to a limited extend, and of little value in the near future.

Tell me, if transdifferentiation (particularly dedifferentiation to obtain ESCs) can be achieved, which items in your list would require SCNT?
    Well now dedifferentiation to obtain ESC's is still theoretical.

It all boils down to you favoring transdifferentiation of ASC's (which needs many more years to become useful), or the dedifferentiation of ACS's which is only theoretically possible over the use of ESC's that are readily available.

I don't want my son, Jason, or anyone else to run out of lifetime, before we can find a way to get to the use of "ESC-type" cells developed from ASC's.

Neither should we hold up the 3 points of research I mentioned which already could be taking place.

Though I appreciate the focus on SCI you bring in your Wired News commentaries, you cannot deny you have a bias away from ESC, just like I will admit my bias is towards ESC, because I already have ASC's stored for Jason that are of such limited use that I choose to keep them frozen.

I am talking:
    1. Placental stem cells
    2. UCB
    3. Bonemarrow stem cells

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl