View Poll Results: SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support both ESCR & ASCR

109 93.97%
  • I support only ASCR

7 6.03%
Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

ESCR = Embryonic stem cell research, and ASCR = Adult stem cell research.

I feel that people, and especially peoples with SCI should stand up for embryonic stem cell research much more than they do. It slows down this research when we don’t and instead tries to find ways around just so serve a minority that don’t care about a cure for SCI. We must be firm, fair and square on this one I feel. Stop wasting time.

How much time do you think is wasted in the laboratories worldwide just to come around ethical questions from a small group of opponents? Imagine the tough task this is for researchers, - to try to find ways around a research they in the first place don’t know the details about. I can just imagine how difficult it would be to come around those hurdles. It has to do with how fast we want to get out of those chairs I believe. Leif

i think stemcell research in any form is condusive to finding the cure. i support all research as long as you're not making baby farms or using fetuses that were aborted for that specific purpose.

i totally agree with using embryos that were intented for fertilization and were to be later discarded as hospital waste. why throw them away if you can use them to help mankind?

i remember reading something dr.young had said on the subect of embryos and morals. he said, if there was a fire in a hospital and you had to choose just one; would you choose to save a pregnant woman or a freezer full of embryos?
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Neither - walking is out for this 20yr post paralysis oldie.

Peripheral nerve rerouting/graft/whatever to give BB back.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    i think stemcell research in any form is condusive to finding the cure. i support all research as long as you're not making baby farms or using fetuses that were aborted for that specific purpose.
    Right Cali. To specify, I’m talking about eggs of course. Which today are destructed and thrown away from IVF clinics, why not use those leftover fertilized eggs to find a cure instead?
    Last edited by Leif; 01-08-2006 at 04:01 PM.

i think it's so hard to really say when an embryo becomes human and that's what makes it so hard for some people to make a decision about all of the stemcell research. i feel an egg isn't human. sperm isn't human. an embryo isn't human till it starts to develop further.

and for anyone to vehemently disagree about eggs or sperm not being human, i have some questions.
    1. do you kill when you have your menstrual cycle? you shed an egg in the process.
    2. if you were to expel sperm either intentionally or not, is that murder?
    3. if you are on birth control, is that murder?

eggs and sperm have potential to start life. however, that doesn't mean they are lives themselves.

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog:

Jounal of a Father in Support of ESCR

Journal of a Father in Support of ESCR

#62 Friday, January 6, 2006 - A DAY WITHOUT HEROICS

The men in wheelchairs thundered down the basketball court, the poundpoundpound of the ball mingling with shouts of advice and the muttering of the crowd.

Paras, I thought, paraplegics, they still had the use of their hands. Quadriplegics like my son, (modern term is tetraplegics), have paralysis in all four limbs.

We have to wait till the gimps get through playing,” I heard a man say, in the bleacher seats, two rows below mine.

Later, I thought of many fine and cutting things I might have said.

But at the time I just sat there, frustrated with myself, furious at him.

He was talking on the cell phone, and he took a sip of beer as he chatted, lifted his drink with unthinking ease, not pausing to wonder how his fingers could so lightly close around the paper cup, not marveling at the delicate interplay of brain and nerve and muscle.

It might have been helpful to educate the man; but I need not have got so angry.

He just did not understand.

There was a time, when I might even have laughed with him.

Before my son’s accident, I am ashamed to admit, people in wheelchairs meant very little to me. Not that I was rude, or cruel, of course, except thoughtlessly so—but that sums it up—I never thought about paralysis, or almost any form of incurable illness.......

Defying polio, Ed Roberts fought for anyone who lives in a chair, who must endure the daily mountain climb exertions, just to get from home to work or school.

I want a day when such daily heroism is not needed. I want California’s stem cell research program to go forward, so people do not have to be heroes, but can just get well.

America cured polio. We developed the Salk vaccine. It is time we started curing folks again.

Don Reed - www.stemcellbattles.com

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Leif, the ESC debate will come to an end soon. You have an awful lot of energy.

There will be a lag between the time the debate ends and a cure is available. Have you given any thought to where you will spend your energy then?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Leif, the ESC debate will come to an end soon.
    What do you mean? Do you mean you think it will be a settled matter?

I ask since Roe v Wade is STILL not a "settled" matter, 33 years later.
    "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by MrSoul
    What do you mean? Do you mean you think it will be a settled matter?
    I think this will be the year for transdifferentiation research to finally break through and find non-controversial methods of deriving ESCs. In this way, everybody wins.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

yay! we win we win!

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog: