Thread: Immther ( used in spinal tumor) production discontinued

Immther ( used in spinal tumor) production discontinued

CNN story on Allie with Ewing's sarcoma, with tumor on her spine which paralyzed her legs:

Successful treatment with Immther will no longer be available because: marketing people determined the pharmaceutical company would not be able to recoup R&D.

Dr. Kleinerman ( of MD Anderson?) ran the clinical trial.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

What's It?

Faye: Not familiar with the news story on the use of Immther. What is Immther and who produces it? I think a drug company, once it has committed the necessary time, effort and money into a drug would bring it to market and sell it at a cost to at least recoup some of their costs. Most of us take drugs that costs more than a $100 a month or use cathing devices that cost even more. Why would the retail cost of a drug prevent a company from making it available?

Paul Bearer

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck
    Faye: Not familiar with the news story on the use of Immther. What is Immther and who produces it? I think a drug company, once it has committed the necessary time, effort and money into a drug would bring it to market and sell it at a cost to at least recoup some of their costs. Most of us take drugs that costs more than a $100 a month or use cathing devices that cost even more. Why would the retail cost of a drug prevent a company from making it available?

Paul Bearer
    Apparently they would have had to go through a number of more steps in order to secure FDA approval.
    I guess that would have been too costly given the (smaller) market size for this drug??

More on Immther here http://www.sarcomahelp.org/Sarcomas/Ewing's%20Sarcoma/refractory_recurrent/unknown_effect/immther.htm

ImmTher is an investigational agent which stimulates the body's white blood cells to attack and kill tumor cells.
    Last edited by Faye; 01-12-2006 at 08:54 AM.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl