Thread: New here 2

Smile New here 2

Hi there
    I just found this site today and have spent some time reading posts on various threads. Thing is I feel like I'm 'a bit on my own here' as I do not have an SCI nor am I the caregiver of a realitive who is. I work for a guy who is a C 5/6 quad, 20 years post injury. I have been working for "Steve" for 4 months and really enjoy my job.
    I am sure I can only begin to imagine what it is like to be affected by SCI.

KiwiGirl

Kiwi, you're not alone here at all - being a caregiver, whether you're a family member or not, is what this 'caregivers' forum is all about! Feel free to ask away if you've got any questions (be sure you don't breech any confidentiality issues with your client), or to share with the rest of us!

Hi Kiwi, this can be a great site for information and supportiveness and if "Steve" is receptive to the idea, putting him in direct contact might shine a little light into his days.

I just watched and strongly recommend "The Sea Inside"; a film about a high level quad who lived near Barcelona, Spain and campaigned for the right to legally end his life for decades. The film is not about depression or negativity and the guy was very articulate and interesting.

Welcome to the CC forums.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

Nice to meet you for I am Kevin. I have just had my PCA for four months this past January 6.

Hello and Welcome!!!

Mom to Heather, age 13, T-12 complete, 5 years post.

Glad to have you aboard KiwiGirl ..... PCA's are just as welcome .... I'm sure you will find a kinship here and if CC can provide you with answers to your questions it can only serve to enhance your work as a caregiver !!

Obieone

Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Smile

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I have yet to meet anyone that does a job simular to mine and it is nice to know that there are people out there that can understand what it is that I do.
    Unlike most of you I'm not related to Steve (not his real name) but I have developed an attachment to him over the last few months.
    I did do a polytech course in caregiving a few years ago, but that didn't really prepare me for the actual 'hands on' experience (excuse the punn) I have gained.
    I really admire those that have 'stepped into' the caregiving role of a loved one.

KiwiGirl

All of my PCA's have come attached to me at some point. But the one currently, we are really tight! Practically like best friends.